97 EK coupe DIY black headlights

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

killercannible

Has anyone attempted this, if so any tricks i should know. I don't want to spend a rediculous amount of money for ctr lights and i have seen DIY jobs that looked great. Any tips appreciated.

I did it on my 96 DX. Remove the lights from the car and examine them closely. If they are cracked an any way forget about doing it. Other wise get ahold of a good heat gun ( a hair dryer will due) and a medium sized flat head screw driver. The object is to heat up the appoxy that holds the lense on the housing of the head light and to pry them apart. Only do one at a time at a reasonable pace or you will end up drying out the apoxxy. When I did it I removed the amber cup around the turn signal socket and the amber strip under it to have a fully clear lense. I thought about putting a sweet badge where the strip used to be but i couldn't find anything. mask off the reflective cone around the head light socket ( or any where else you don't want painted ) and spray your color. As soon as its dry enough to take the tape off heat the apoxy up and assemble it back together. Apply some kind of pressure on the light to make sure it seals back until the intire housing cools off then re-install! enjoy!

PS when you have the head light apart, it would be a good idea to use some kind of plastic cleaner/polish to apply to it. We all know how the EK 96-98 lights like the haze over.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, real helpfull. And yeah, wtf is the deal with this fogging crap. I am thinking about getting one of those treatments done but i have heard they don't always work.

I used " LiquidLuster" on mine and they turned out pretty good. Any run-of-the mill plastic cleaner and a good polish will due but you have to keep taking car of them. Almost as often as you would wax your car. I see the guy that has my civic everyonce in a while and he doesn't detail it often and they still aren't as bad as they were when I bought it.

Back