97 EX F22B1 swap to F23A

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

elgwedoloco

Hey Honda Swap-ers, Well I bought this Accord with 260,000 miles and figured it's easier to R&R(Remove & Replace) the engine than rebuild. So this is my first swap ever. Before this I had no real knowledge of engines of any variety. My girlfriends dad coached me on getting the engine out then I just took it from there myself. Today is Friday 8/15/10 and we are 1 week and 1 day into it. I have engine in and a few accessories mounted. By the end of today we should find if if turning the key brings me a smile or frustrates me. I will post pictures later folks there are a lot and I want to get to work on this car. Any last minute pointers or anything would be appreciated very much Honda Swap community. I will check this throughout the day. Wish me luck when I turn the key. Thanks in advance for any help/ideas you guys give me.

OK, everything is hooked up as far as I can tell. I get ready for moment of truth and the engine cranks but wont turn over. I have narrowed it done to being a fuel system problem, either relay or electrical connections. Fuel pump works and comes on for the 2 seconds with the ON position. I have fuel and pressure all the way to the fuel rail. Someone told me that there is a ground below the the intake manifold or to thermostat. I can't find either and don't remember them being there. I am going to test the main relay tomorrow and hopefully the injectors(electrical). I can't figure out how to unplug the electrical housing from the injector itself though. I am also going to try to bypass the main relay and see if that gets me anywhere. Also I don't know if this makes a difference but I had a F22b1 and swapped to a F23A but used all my accessories from the original engine(ECU, wiring harness, manifolds, etc...) Please help people it's my daily driver and public transportation takes FOREVER!!!!! Thanks again Honda Swap!!!!

OK, now I am kind of confused. I have had about 4 people tell me without a doubt that my problem is a ground wire that mounts to the thermostat housing or intake plenum. Then I had 1 guy tell me that he was 100% sure it was a ECU problem, like mine was fried. I know I am missing a ground because I can't find it. Can anyone give me some help on finding the origin of this ground wire? Either some kind of diagram or something? Or can you take pictures of your engine bay or close ups of where I should be looking. I have been stuck for 4 days now. I have Goggled, called shops, called Honda, and asked random people. They all can tell me where it grounds to but it seems no one can help me find the origin of this ground. Please help Honda Swappers. Thanks in advance guys.

Did you route the wiring harness the way the factory did before? I have never worked on a CD accord but usually It snakes from the left side of the engine bay (looking from the front of the car in). It plugs into the cabin harness then connects to the engine bay fuse box, then it runs down and connects to the trans and sensors, after this it goes under the intake manifold, etc. Between the trans and the intake manifold there should be a very little pig tail that comes out fully taped up except for the ring you put the bolt through to hold it on the thermostat housing. Just feel along the harness in that area. If this isn't hooked up I'm surprised you can even crank it. Usually when you don't have this grounded you'll just hear a very loud buzzing and the CEL goes on and off very very very rapidly.

Did you route the wiring harness the way the factory did before? I have never worked on a CD accord but usually It snakes from the left side of the engine bay (looking from the front of the car in). It plugs into the cabin harness then connects to the engine bay fuse box, then it runs down and connects to the trans and sensors, after this it goes under the intake manifold, etc. Between the trans and the intake manifold there should be a very little pig tail that comes out fully taped up except for the ring you put the bolt through to hold it on the thermostat housing. Just feel along the harness in that area. If this isn't hooked up I'm surprised you can even crank it. Usually when you don't have this grounded you'll just hear a very loud buzzing and the CEL goes on and off very very very rapidly.

So I removed my thermostat housing so to get a perfect idea of what I am looking for and to see the wiring harness a little better. I still can't find this damn ground. I was thinking "Maybe we got it snagged and it pulled out of the harness" but I can't find a point where anything has been ripped out. That doesn't mean I just overlooked it because that is entirely too possible. Got a picture of what I might be looking for?

OK GUYS, FINISHED AND RUNNING!!!!! 2 weeks after we started and now I am done. Went into this with minimal knowledge of engines. Oh yeah and the best part is some neighbor decided they didn't like it and called the city on me. Oh well. Well thanks Korax, you were right I just couldn't reach my hand far enough under there to find it. Had to have the girlfriend reach it. Life is now good. DC Sports Ceramic Headers ordered this evening too.

Nice man. Why did they call the city on you?

They don't like my roommates and I. We never did anything that I know of and we are not rude or loud or anything. They are just those kind of people I guess.^_^

Day 1

So here is the very slow process of day 1

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 875
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 1,586
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 727
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 739
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 636
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 705
hey man i did the same swap, but im having trouble with my fuel i feel like is getting to much gas idk if is the ECU Can you plz help me..thank you

Back