'97 EX: rebuild or buy?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hamiltonhiii

I apologize for this boring question, but I'm a family guy who has managed to get 280K on this lovely D16y8 before the head blew. It's overheated several times now and I know the 3rd cylinder is out. I'm assuming the head is blown but hope the block is still good. My two kids don't care about hp and I drive it to last; I just love that this car never lets me down and that everything still works on it (errr, until recently anyway).
Should I take the head to the machine shop or buy a new one? Either way, what do I need to buy along with the head?
Should I get a new engine? If so, what should I swap it with?
I'm not putting a ton of money into this...and I've been urged to get new car. But I've turned a lot of bolts in this one and like working on it. Don't get mad but I'll be driving my Volvo with 368K on it until I can get this done.

for your situation id either rebuild the D16Y8 (depending on condition) or swap in an OBD2a JDM D15B SOHC VTEC

Thanks...

...and just curious, will that OBD2a be compatible with what I have now?
I assume you like the D15 motors better than a new D16? I think it would probably be unwise to invest in repairing what I have- lot of miles, and who knows what further damage I've done overheating it!
Thanks for your response again.

Err, one more question...

You said OBD2a? What's the "a" mean? I see some OBD2 motors and don't know what the difference is.

OBD2 is broken in to two generations 2a and 2b
for the Civic 96-98 were 2a... 99-00 were 2b
no real difference other than a different plug style for the ECU

im recommencing going with an OBD 2a model strictly for the ease of install
i think it might be a better idea to go with a replacement engine for the same reasons as you mentioned ("who knows what further damage I've done overheating it")
the D15B i recommended because it has similar performance figures and is pretty much a direct replacement for your D16Y8 and they are easy to find from reputable importers

with 280k it might be in your best interest to grab a full engine and tranny

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=page&item=30021

TorontoJDM.com - Total Japanese Domestic Motor - JDM D15B OBD2 VTEC ENGINE

Again,

Thanks.
I think I'm going with the new engine, and will update when it fires up.
Your advice is helpful, especially since there's no financial incentive to you.
So thanks.

no problem :)

there are a few people around the site who have swapped in the D15B before, and there should be some articles available to help you out as well

feel free to ask any questions you may run into along the way

Back