97 Ford F-150 XLT swap options

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

Truck is a 1997 Ford F-150 XLT with Triton 4.6 V8

So neighbor's truck is leaking oil around the front of the transmission/rear of the engine(I only took a quick look, but may be rear main seal or head gasket).

Anyways, he took it to a shop and they won't repair the leak, only replace the engine...and they want something like $3000 to do it. I've tried looking for other engines but no shop/junkyards has any of the Triton 4.6l V8s and I've only found two on craiglist that are about 60mi away and they want $1100 and $1200 ('98 115k mi, and '03 86k mi). It looks as though the 4.6 from the cars and 5.0s seem much more common. Would it be possible to swap one of those in? Also, did the 4.6 Tritons change during the years(would the 03 engine work in a 97)?

car-part.com look on there for the engine.
I think the mustang engine will work but its geared more towards performance than lugging a heavy truck around. You shouldn't have too many problems finding an engine those things are dimes a dozen. The 97-03s I think its 03, are all the same generation, sometimes called the girls f150.

Thanks! Though, all the engines on there(that are in driving distance) have pretty high miles.

Yeah, I was worried about that; IIRC the 4.6 out of the Crowns, etc. are shorter stroke compared to the Triton engines.

I could be wrong but I am almost positive the mustang engine is different. Might still work depending on what the guy is using the truck for.
Is it a money issue with the guy? How much is a rebuilt from jasper or advanced?

I don't think money is an issue, he just wants best bang for buck I guess. I haven't checked the prices from them yet.

Back