97 Geo metro help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92stoccord

Big Member
My mom has a 4 cylinder Geo metro. She was going down the road a while back and it stalled on her. I couldn't get it to start and left it on the side of the road and got it towed home. Since then I've tinkered with it a bit but haven't had any luck. I've replaced the ignition coil. When that didn't work I pulled the distributor cap off and there was copper wire everywhere inside. Pulled it all out and it kept coming. Found it was coming from the pickup coil. So I replaced the pickup coil. Easy. No start.

Fuel? Sprayed starting fluid in it. No different. Looked and I couldn't see the injector spraying though (single injector tbi).

But if it didn't start on ether, it's got to be a spark issue right? Pull the first plug out and tried to ground it and start the car at the same time by myself. Yup. Definitely had voltage. Good voltage. So I quit for the day. Came back with a buddy and checked the rest of the plugs. Spark on 1 and 2, none on 3 or 4. But I pulled 3 away early and it wound up shocking the shit out of me. And the car started. And ran. And had to be shut off. With no compression on 3. Or a plug. Changed cap and rotor. Got spark on 3 and 4

No start. Well fuck this. Has to be fuel. Or grounding. Checked pressure up to the reg and it was good all the way up to the injector. Changed injector. No good. Added ground strap from battery to valve cover. No good.

Halp

Sounds like something is lose somewhere. maybe by the fuse box, or main relay, or the battery pos lead...

Ot, i thought metro's were 1L 3 cyl's....

Aaaand the trans is acting up. Sticks in third sometimes for too long. Tries to take off in it occasionally. Cleaning solenoids and flushing trans, stay tuned.

Back