1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

97 teggy LS problem. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by phyregod, Aug 17, 2005.

1. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

Well, I suppose this is a supplement to my swap thread...

The teggy was feeling sluggish, and I had done a few things that should have freshened her up.. (cleaned injectors, full tune up, re-timed) and it was still sluggish. So I do a compression check:
    #1 180, #2 175, #3 180, #4 120

There is no coolant in the oil, and the oil looks fine between changes, nice and golden... So I assume valves or rings.. The manual says to drop a teaspoon of motor oil into the bad cylinder and re-check compression. I did, and it bumped the compression from 120 to 210. I followed the same procedure for the rest of the cylinders and they all bumped to 210.

SO.. According to the manual, this says its a ring problem.. BUT.. the oil is clean, there is no fuid exchange, and there is NO smoke from the tail pipe. The car is sitting at 90k miles. I shouldn't even have to think about this stuff for another 100k...

Any ideas??

2. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

band ring, or a chipped piston.

time to open 'er up

3. smooth_criminal

smooth_criminal Senior Member

yeah it's either a bad ring or the ringlands on the piston. When you blew a ring it won't mix coolant and oil like if you were to blew a head gasket.

4. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

Right.. but it isn't smoking from the tail pipe at all... thats where I'm getting confused. I've always seen bad rings and smoke come as a package.

Time for some exploratory surgery!

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted