97 teggy LS problem. Any ideas?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

phyregod

!!YTINASNI
Well, I suppose this is a supplement to my swap thread...

The teggy was feeling sluggish, and I had done a few things that should have freshened her up.. (cleaned injectors, full tune up, re-timed) and it was still sluggish. So I do a compression check:
#1 180, #2 175, #3 180, #4 120

There is no coolant in the oil, and the oil looks fine between changes, nice and golden... So I assume valves or rings.. The manual says to drop a teaspoon of motor oil into the bad cylinder and re-check compression. I did, and it bumped the compression from 120 to 210. I followed the same procedure for the rest of the cylinders and they all bumped to 210.

SO.. According to the manual, this says its a ring problem.. BUT.. the oil is clean, there is no fuid exchange, and there is NO smoke from the tail pipe. The car is sitting at 90k miles. I shouldn't even have to think about this stuff for another 100k...

Any ideas??

yeah it's either a bad ring or the ringlands on the piston. When you blew a ring it won't mix coolant and oil like if you were to blew a head gasket.

Originally posted by smooth_criminal@Aug 17 2005, 03:15 PM
yeah it's either a bad ring or the ringlands on the piston. When you blew a ring it won't mix coolant and oil like if you were to blew a head gasket.
[post=541375]Quoted post[/post]​

Right.. but it isn't smoking from the tail pipe at all... thats where I'm getting confused. I've always seen bad rings and smoke come as a package.

Time for some exploratory surgery!

Back