98 b16 swap question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mx141

This is my first post but i am not new to Hondas. Just never did this swap before. What i have now is a 91 hatch with a b16a in it. I want to put the motor into my 98 4 door. I know some of the parts i need but wasn't sure what sensors i would have to add. What mounts? Can i use anything off the hatch?

Year of the engine? Check your local state's laws. Most states will not let you put an older motor in a newer car.

Transmission needs to be hydraulic. Your EF hatch is cable. But you may have a hydraulic in the hatch already with a conversion from cable to hydraulic.

Use the mounts off the 4dr except for the rear trans mount out of a 99/00 Civic Si.

Shift linkage won't swap over. Not told sure but I don't think the axles work either.

Then there's issues with engine harness too. The more I write....this is a higher level swap to compete. Not sure your background with the differences.

Thanks for your response. I have no idea what year the motor is. Is there a way to tell? I've done a bunch of swaps but usually put a motor out of the same chassis. I'm sure i can handle it. I would get a hydraulic trans. The one in my ef is still a cable. I have read that i am going to need different axles. I was planning on picking up a distributor and low impedance from a civic si. And shift linkage. Could i take a wiring harness from a 96-98 civic si and use it with my motor and add/change the sensors and use the si ecu? Thanks again

Check your local laws- they vary quite wildly from state to state. Most places will still pass your car as long as all the proper emissions equipment is hooked up and functioning.

Check your local laws- they vary quite wildly from state to state. Most places will still pass your car as long as all the proper emissions equipment is hooked up and functioning.

I'm in Ohio i haven't been checked for emissions in the 18 years I've been driving.

94-01 Integra AxleS and shift linkage are what goes into the 4dr

Is the 4dr an EX (AKA wired for VTEC)? If not....I would prefer to get a D16Y8 engine harness (VTEC) for your swap.

It is an ex. So basically these are the things i would need so far are : 94-01 integra axles and linkage, 96-98 si rear mount t bracket and distributor, lsor gsr hydraulic trans and si ecu. And I'm sure I'm going to as a few sensors like the crank position sensor and a couple others

That should be about it.

May need to lengthen a few lines in the engine harness.

Not sure about IM sensors and the throttle body sensors.

I just read that I'll need a throttle body from a 96-98 si because it has the maf sensor built into the throttle body

One thing you may run into is that the half shaft on the drivers side is male, in which case you can not use a 94-01 teg drivers side. If you do have a male half shaft PM me, I have a Raxles drivers side axle for 92-00 Civics that is made to use with the male half shaft.

b-series Honda's don't have maf's at all.....

Correct, but some do have the MAP built into the throttle body, and some have it attached via the vacuum tube.

Back