98 b18b1 into 95 ej1 coupe

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

s4ucey

I just bought a 98 b18b1 special edition from a buddy of mine. It was a complete swap. Its in my 95 ej1 coupe. I am using a 95 obd1 ls harness, obd1 p75 ecu, 95 ls 5spd tranny, ls shift linkage, and a "wired in" obd2 ecu, "wired in" obd2 injectors.

I put the b18 into my coupe and plugged all the wires in. I'm getting fuel, getting spark. I just set the #1 to tdc, set the cams to tdc, set the dizzy to #1. When i try to start it, it cranks....like it really wants to start, its just not firing. I smell fuel when cranking, my fuel pump primes.

I'm thinking the dizzy wiring may be wrong. obd1 harness to obd2 dizzy. the plug was cut off the obd2 dizzy to wire it in. it was wired color for color to an obd1 dizzy plug.

obd1 harness->obd1 dizzy plug w/pigtails->obd2 dizzy wired color for color to the obd1 dizzy plug w/pigtails.

I had the exact same problem on my 1997 CX when I put in a D16z6 a couple years back (but obviously this was obd1 in an obd2 car. It was an ignition problem. If you take a look at the 6 prong plug going to your ignition, you'll see there are 3 pins in a triangle formation.
[-][ ][-]
[ ][-][ ]
I had to flip the triangle upside down
[ ][-][ ]
[-][ ][-]
After that it fired right up after nearly a month of messing around with a multimeter.
I was getting 11.9V to the coil and once in a while I'd get a fire like it wanted to start after I let off the key from position 3. I kept swapping in different main relays and coils and nothing made a difference
I hope this is all it is on your car, but if not it may be a starting point as it sounds like an ignition problem.

-Kayle

Back