98 b18c1(gsr) in a 95 civic problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civicguy88

i put a 1998 b18c1 in my 1995 civic ex. it starts but it idles eratically. when i drive it it sputters and feel to have only 50 horse power. it also was back fireing a little bit. there is coolant leaking from the line that goes to the iac valve. i replaced the line and it still leaks. it almost seems as if it is not leting the coolant pass through there. i took the iac off and tested it according to the helms manual and it works fine. could someone please help me out ive been trying to fix this problem since the last week and can not figure it out.

sounds like you have 2 problems;
Sounds like your ignition timing is off such as you have your spark plug wires mixed up.
As far as your coolant leak it could be that you put the wrong size hose on there, or the unit could be bad and just leaking.
there are 2 small hoses on the iac, one in, one out. make sure they are both there, and make sure the clamps are tight. The unit could have been damaged during shipping or removal from the donor vehicle.

I would check and make sure that the spark plug wires are all going to the right places (firing order 1-3-4-2, clockwise)
also check the spark plugs and the wires, cap and rotor, maybe the engine needs a tune up.
if you replace everything and are still having a problem, post again and we'll see from there.

i replaced the iac witht the one that was on my old engine and it idles fine now but when i drive it feels to only be pushing about 50 hp. we are trouble shooting the distributer cap right now but im not sure what is wrong with it :/

the p73 that is the obdII for the engine. i also tried the type r p72 ecu and the stock p28 civic ecu they all had the same problems

sounds like your timing is retarded too far, there are three bolts on your distributor, lossen them an turn it towards you fire wall to advance it, correct me if im wrong about the direction

Back