98 civic hx swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

silentearth

Hey guys first post here so let me start by saying hello. Basically my problem is my cold air intake just sucked up a gallon or so of water and the engine's seized. I've been having tranny problems recently and have been considering just getting a full swap to solve tranny issues and get myself a fun ride. Now that this has happened I really don't have a choice on the swap so I just want to get this thing ordered and start working on it asap. Right now i'm leaning towards a B16B but I'm not set and would like to get some input on what you think would be a good swap for my car. Also I'd appreciate any links you guys can pull up for sites you know to be reputable for selling swaps. Any and all feedbacks appreciated, thanks!

EDIT: If this thread isn't in the proper place I appologize, I am a "nOOb" here

Get the B18C5, easy swap, more power, and about the same price. No reason to get the CTR motor instead.

unless you want the bling factor get the b18c5 like J said more power for the same price

the only time i'd suggest a b16b over a jdm Itr is for extensive building of a road race car down the road. ctr's love the road course.
all in all though, the itr is better bang for the buck

Thanks for the input guys, i'm going with the B18... Remaining questions are is this a complete swap?...
http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000se...page&item=30010

... if not what else would I need?

Is hmotorsonline trustable? it'd be especially helpful if someone on here has actually delt with them and can give me a first hand account of how they did

Will I need the cable to get the hydrolic conversion kit to put this swap in my 5 speed 98 civic hx?

No, that isn't a complete swap, it is missing the axles and shiftlinkage, and possibly some other minor parts.

Yes HMO is a great place to buy a motor from.

to make a gsr have the same output as the type r will cost you more than 1k. get the type r but just know that the axles that come with it wont fit your current setup, you will need to get integra axles.

everyone's been pretty helpful thanks for the input.
Now i'm pretty much stuck on the type R, i'm just wondering if I should go with the 98+ spec or the 96-97 which is 450 less... any ideas guys?

EDIT>> I read on HMO's site that their engines are intended for racing use and not street use. Any PA residents know if this engine, B18C type R, is going to cause problems with my emisions inspection?

I live in the Lehigh Valley near allentown, PA...

thanks for the help, i'm ordering the engine tomorrow.

I'll follow up if anything comes up but hopefully it goes without to much trouble

If you get the 96-97 you can use the axles it comes with. The 97+ are five lugs, and have 36mm axles.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Mar 29 2005, 05:06 AM
If you get the 96-97 you can use the axles it comes with. The 97+ are five lugs, and have 36mm axles.
[post=480189]Quoted post[/post]​

i have an 01 JDM ITR engine from HMO it was sent with standard integra axles
so you dont have to worry about the axles

Back