98 civic - o2 sensor / check engine light

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

malone68

I put headers and an a kat back exhaust on a 98 civic lx (automatic trans) in an attempt to make the car a little quicker. The problems started once I realized that the stock kat was conected to the old header , so I had to get a staight pipe ( kat eliminator ). Also, the bottom o2 sensors was stuck so we were advised to cut the wires and sodered them to the top sensor wires. This works for a while, but the check engine light eventually gets thrown. So now, my question to you fine people is : what should I do? If I buy a new o2 sensor for the straight pipe will this satisfy the computer in the car and keep the check engine light off. Or will it not matter with the o2 level reading since there's no kat? Please help , I can't just keep disconnecting the neg wire on the battery for ever ( to reset the light ) or can I. Thanks :blink:

I also have a 98 Civic and had the same problem..there is no simple fix the 02 sensor it does not read correctly and will always set off engine light..the only thing I found to stop the code is to do a OBD 1 conversion or i did a p70 conversion which is obd2 out of a type R motor..hope this helps.. B)

p70? doesn't exist.

p73 is the itr ecu code. running in on an lx motor is far from ideal.

you need to run an o2 sensor- without it, your car will never perform right.

put it anywhere really...

I got the same problem on my wifes 98 lx...the 02 sensor is working and switches from high to low and back but does it too slow. I had a friend with a scanner do a diagnostic on it. But no one can figure it out.

Thanks for the advice. I'm obviously just learning about how this car works. I guess I'll try putting the o2 sensor down on the straight pipe and see what happens. I'll report back with my results. Thanks again folks!

Why don't you just have a muffler shop cut and weld a cat into your midpipe, install the o2 back and be good?

yeah, cutting out your cat will not give you a big gain or anything. Buy a high flow cat, and shove it in. Then run a O2 sensor after the cat, like Honda intended.

So how is there a difference in the lx motor that would make it not ideal??..all the other ideas that were told DO NOT WORK..i have already tried all of them..and also my car runs just fine..the o2 sensor is still there..the computer just reads different..your vehicle runs bad when the check engine light is on..I can guarantee that this will work..can all the other ideas say that.

my car runs normal with the cel. I never had it run bad at all. I just want to get the damn light off so i would know if any more problems come up

my reply was to pissedoffsol about what was posted. and why using the ecu was any different in a lx..i was just trying to save you the headache of trying the other things that i found failed.

Back