98 Integra Ls swapping suggestions?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Mjmcd97

Alright I’m pretty new to the Honda life as I’ve really ever owned my Jeep, butt I finally bought this Integra so I can travel to school back and forth about an hour and half each way, I’m leaving in 2 months so times not really an issue yet but I need to get started, swapping won’t be a problem either
What I need help with is deciding.
I have a friend of a friend who builds Honda’s on the daily trying to sel me a b20 block, gsr head with type r internals(cams , valves, springs etc) type r oil pump , for about $800
It only has 50k on it it’s vtec the whole deal no turbo or anything.... this sounds awesome obviously but is it practical.... I’m not 100% sure if I should be buying this and take the risk of needing to repair this engine down the road while I’m at school compared to buying a stock LS , b18, B20 etc motor for cheaper
Are these engines know to have issues set up like this? Are the internals going to be impossible to replace in case of them going bad?
Also I will have to run the ObD1 computer and I was told that when the time for inspection comes I can swap back to my old one and just keep the car under 4K rpms or so for a day and I’ll be able to pass, anybody doing this without issues?

Sorry if it’s unclear obviously there is a lot weighing in on this but any insight is helpful. Thanks

If it's built right, it will run for over 100,000 miles with no problems. At this point in time, even a "stock" LS motor will have risk associated with it due to it being 10+ years old. Unless you buy it from a legit engine reseller, anything you buy used will come with question marks. But the built engine is going to be as good as the engine builder and engine tuner.

Since it's a commuter, your goal is (at least should be) 100% reliability. If your current engine works fine, I'd keep it and save that $800 for a nice tune up or maintenance down the road. Even if you get that built engine, you're going to want to tune it well and you're going to need to spend more money on it. Get through school, build a killer car later on.

I
If it's built right, it will run for over 100,000 miles with no problems. At this point in time, even a "stock" LS motor will have risk associated with it due to it being 10+ years old. Unless you buy it from a legit engine reseller, anything you buy used will come with question marks. But the built engine is going to be as good as the engine builder and engine tuner.

Since it's a commuter, your goal is (at least should be) 100% reliability. If your current engine works fine, I'd keep it and save that $800 for a nice tune up or maintenance down the road. Even if you get that built engine, you're going to want to tune it well and you're going to need to spend more money on it. Get through school, build a killer car later on.
sorry idk how I forgot to actually type this last night but I was tired, my current engine is not so good
Burning through oil to no end, tried new PCv valve, motor honey, nine of that worked for me. In about a 2 hour trip I burned down 2.5 qts of oil and had to buy oil to fill it because the light flashed . Can’t tell if it’s burning at the valves or the rings however at this point I’m almost putting as much oil into it as I am gas , tough situation with school coming so fast. A main concern of mine is putting that built engine in and then say something does go wrong i won’t be able to just run to the nearest parts store and find a lot of these parts and that could take my car off the road a lot longer . I’m leaning towards a jdm depot stock motor And just pass on the deal for now as much as it sucks it seems to be the logical thing to do

What model is the car? LS? GS-R? Would you be swapping the transmission as well?

One thing to keep in mind is that the RS/LS transmission that's paired with the non-VTEC B18 engine has longer gears. Good for mileage, but not the best match for a VTEC engine where you need to rev high to get the power out of it.

to basically answer this question ,if your looking for reliability NO the b20V is not the choice . in the long run something will crack or break . its safer to run a LSVtec but even that isnt reliable in the long run . stay with a full oem longblock

Back