98 Legacy GT, Thermostat

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hey hows it going? My buddy has a 98 Subaru Legacy GT. Today when he was coming home from work it overheated, BUT when he popped his hood, his radiator was really cold, the cap was not even hot after over an hour of a drive. He came home, and told me about it and I immediately said thermostat got stuck closed, and didnt open at all. Well we went to go to get the part for me to change it and his car was running fine. It didnt overheat at all, it stayed right in the middle where it should be. He even got on it a little bit and it just stayed right there. So my guess is that it just got stuck closed, and I plan on changing it either tomorrow or thursday, but I'm wondering if anyone knows where it is located? Ive done it before on different cars but never a Subaru... So does anyone know where it would be located at? Thanks for all your information and help!!!

most cars have it located inside a housing on the top of the block, find the rad, and follow the top rad hose to the block, the housing should be there

Yeah i knew that. like thats how the ones ive done, but i figured it might be different and the kids dad said that its under the water pump and i said F**K when i heard that, but i have never seen that before so it probably is on top...Thanks though.

1998–2005

1. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  2. Remove the engine undercover.
  3. Drain the engine coolant.
  4. Loosen the hose clamp and disconnect the lower radiator hose from the thermostat cover.
  5. Remove the thermostat cover and gasket, and pull out the thermostat.
    42050_suba_g0019.gif

Remove the thermostat cover, and pull out the thermostat—2.5L engine shown
    42050_suba_g0020.gif

Exploded view of the thermostat and related components—2.5L Turbo engine shown
To install:
  1. Install the thermostat in the intake manifold.
    NOTE 2.2L, 2.5L engines—The thermostat must be installed with the jiggle pin upward.

NOTE 2.5L Turbo engines—The thermostat must be install with the jiggle pin facing front.
  2. Install the thermostat cover together with a new gasket.
  3. Install the lower radiator hose to the thermostat cover and tighten the hose clamp.
  4. Install the engine undercover.
  5. Lower the vehicle.
  6. Refill the engine cooling system to the correct level.
  7. Start the engine and check for leaks.
    42050_suba_g0021.gif

Ensure the jiggle pin faces upward—2.2L and 2.5L Engines

Back