98 mustang electrical issues

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DwnShftPrincess

ok its hard to explain but i'll do my best. at first i used to try and crank the car but the theft light would flash (yes, i have the master key). i would take a lot of locking and unlocking the doors and turning the steering wheel to lock position. after about 30 tries the theft light stops flashing and the car cranks.
recently the car doesn't crank at all. at first all the power in the battery has been drained. we recharged it bought a new alternator and starter. now when the key is turned the car just dies and all the power in the car dies. we have to disconnect the battery and connect it back in order to get power back in the car. something is definitely wron here. any suggestions.

Can u say ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS!!!!!!

When I turn the key the car dies and everything dies with it. Engine not turning over. i just here a click. Newly charged battery. new alternator. new starter. so... wtf???
(it's a mustang but this seems to be a general electrical question)

Check the battery cables and connections. Dissasemble and clean them up, if the wiring is frayed/broken/exposed, replace the cable. Sounds like hard core corrosion to me.

I win.

in other news... you are driving a mustang? eww.

Just because the battery has been charged doesn't mean it is good. Get it tested if the other suggestions don't help. May need a new one.

i checked the relays and didn't have to replace any of them. we're thinking its a voltage regulator problem or a problem with the Ford PATS (theft) system.

Sounds suspiciously like the PATS to me. Instead of locking and unlocking stuff, have you tried looking up the bypass proceedure for the PATS? I think if you leave the key in for 30 seconds, or turn to start and back 5 times, or something like that, it will sometimes let you start. Also if you got the car used, maybe remnants of an aftermarket alarm system in there somewhere, tied to the THEFT light. But that may be why you're having so much trouble. I'm having alternator trouble with my '97 Mustang right now, replaced the alternator and still won't charge. Looks like I may have gotten a bum alternator. Anyways, good luck with this, and if you still have trouble, feel free to e-mail me eslindsey {at} gmail [dot] com. Since I own a '97, I've done a lot of research into the PATS and security systems for my own ride.

Good luck!
-Eric Lindsey

Back