98 prelude ?? & i bet u cant answer it!!!!!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ziggyb20b

I've got a 98 lude that I've put a h23 vtec in & I didn't use my usdm oilpump. instead I extended the 4 wires for the ckp/tdc sensors from the by timing cover to a obd1 dizzy with all three sensors inside it!! I've followed diagrams very carefully & its wired correctly but only sparks 1 time when I first turn the key forward??? I've read a thread where someone else did the same thing without a problem??? what am I doing wrong???????

I'm pretty sure that OBD2 ECUs want to see OBD2 distributor hardware- what kind of ECU do you have? The 98 would have been an OBD2 system from the factory.

help my lude!!!!!!

I've tried a p28 conversion & had the ckp tdc cyp sensors wired directly from the ecu to the dizzy! I've recently swaped back to the stock ecu for fear of getting a bad p28 but the car is doin the exact same thing with both ecu's it fires 1 time when the key is turned to the on position?? if someone will give me advice as to what's going on I will gladly PAY you!!!!!!!

sounds to me like the wiring is wrong. for the engine to only spark once you'd definitely have to have something wrong in your wiring. I'd double check your pinout because the distributor coil should be constantly powering the rotor.

HowStuffWorks "Ignition System Distributor"

ok here's what's going on its only been a couple of days since I ran the wire from the timing cover & put the stock ecu back!! I haven't been able to get any help until today a buddy came by just before dark & we checked for spark & IM NOW GETTING SPARK!!!!! but it still doesn't start so somethings still not right it got dark before I could look it over but it seems to be getting fuel so maybe its a timing issue???im happy to c it firing its the first time I've seen it SINCE THE SWAP:)!!! ANY IDEAS ON IT POSSIBLY BEING THE TIMING???????????????????

could be timing or firing order.

even though you're getting spark your plugs might also be gapped wrong or the wrong temp for the motor.

yea I was right im getting fuel & spark but somehow it still won't start???? I've moved the dizzy back & 4th while my friend cranked on it& it doesn't seem to change anything & the gap should b correct!!! my plugs have gas on them I don't c how it doest atleast try 2 start????

Last edited:
is the fuel old? also does your car have a coil pack? or did ya leave it un pluged, is do you have a timing light... also what kind of plugs are you using? i have seen some plugs really h8 H23's and H22 motor's haha

ok I've checked my timing & its dead on & every plug is firing & getting fuel?? its a 98 lude with the stock h22a4 harness all I've done is put an obd1 dizzy& ran 4 wire from the old plug for the ckp& tdc!!?? is it possible for the timing to be off enough that it won't start?? I had a 90 teg & it didn't matter where the dizzy was it started?? but its was obd0!! the ludes obd2 any help??

??Fouled plugs??

Pull them and heat them up lightly with a torch and shoot brake-cleaner at the electrode to clean off any residue. Check gap and reinstall, try again..
Just a thought. They may have gotten fouled by trying soo many times.
E

well I've tried putting brand new ngk plugs in It & hasn't changed anything?? im pretty confused as to how its doing this I've tried starting fluid & it seems to not help at all?? I've never seen a honda do this if anyone has im lookin for any help I can get!! thanks!

I would check your compression. Your timing belt might be off a little, or your rings could be bad. I don't know how much you know about the engine you just put in, but it could be a little worn.

Another thing, is how long did the engine you put in sit? I was thinking maybe you but a ka bunk motor man

Back