99 Civic EX Brake Master Cylinder Better Than DX One?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

turbo99

Does anybody know for a fact if the 99 Civic EX brake master cylinder is bigger than the 99 Civic DX one? They look the same to me. I currently have the DX cylinder and want to know if it will make a difference in braking. The salvage guy told me that the GSR, Type-R, SI, EX are all the same. So he sold me the EX one. Any truth to this? I don't want t go through the hassle of replacing it if it doesn't make a significant difference. I would appreciate your replies. Thank you.

if you want to tell, look at the cylinder and there should be some raised numbers that say either 13/15th or maybe if your lucky 15/16th. the dx is usually a 13/15th, as for your ex one, not sure, but i know that the gsr and type R are different than the si one, i wanna think that those a a full 1" master cylinder, and the si is a 15/16". look at both and you'll see. good lock bro,

oh, if you still cant tell, take some pics of it and post it up, i'll be better to tell ya what you have.

one more thing, as for a difference, yes, a bigger master cylinder will make a big difference, especially if you convert your rear drums to disk. but you'll need a 4040 proportioning valve for that.

Quoted post[/post]]
if you want to tell, look at the cylinder and there should be some raised numbers that say either 13/15th or maybe if your lucky 15/16th. the dx is usually a 13/15th, as for your ex one, not sure, but i know that the gsr and type R are different than the si one, i wanna think that those a a full 1" master cylinder, and the si is a 15/16". look at both and you'll see. good lock bro,

oh, if you still cant tell, take some pics of it and post it up, i'll be better to tell ya what you have.

one more thing, as for a difference, yes, a bigger master cylinder will make a big difference, especially if you convert your rear drums to disk. but you'll need a 4040 proportioning valve for that.

Hey bro, I really appreciate your help. I'll check it out later. I've got big brakes up on the front, but would like to switch the drums to disk one day. It seems like a lot of work though.

acctually, i was mistaken, the dx has a 13/16 mc.

anyways, doing a rear disk conversion is quite easy, just to let you know.

(DIY) 1
(DIY) 2

these two links should be helpful, again, if you have a decent amount of knowledge on civics and integras, it should be a peice of cake, good luck guys.

Quoted post[/post]]
(DIY) 1
(DIY) 2

these two links should be helpful, again, if you have a decent amount of knowledge on civics and integras, it should be a peice of cake, good luck guys.

Thanks dude. Hey I was looking at my proportioning valve, how do you tell the difference between a 40/40 and any other one? Mine is like 2 y-shaped pieces laying on their sides on top of each other with a total of 6 lines running in and out.

they all look the same but have different numbers stamped on them. Stock 2-disk, 2-drum setups had a "3030" stamped onto the valve while the 4-disk Integras, regardless of year, had "4040" on them. So you know which ones to look for now.

Thanks for the brake swap link. How long does that process take? Anyhoo, I just checked the master cylinder. Where is the number exactly? The only numbers I saw was on the plastic reservoir and it said, "7/8."

it should be on the left side of the MC if its intsalled in the car. i'd say the letters are about 1/8" big, should be plainly visiable on the metal part, not the plastic part.

the swap can be time consuming if your new into hondas. i can probably wip it out in about an hour or two. so roughly think about 4-5 hours tops. that is if you have every tool you need right there and you know about what to do or you have a manual to help you (always required for touqe settings and such.)

Quoted post[/post]]
it should be on the left side of the MC if its intsalled in the car. i'd say the letters are about 1/8" big, should be plainly visiable on the metal part, not the plastic part.

the swap can be time consuming if your new into hondas. i can probably wip it out in about an hour or two. so roughly think about 4-5 hours tops. that is if you have every tool you need right there and you know about what to do or you have a manual to help you (always required for touqe settings and such.)

Well, I looked at my DX one and it said 13/16. The EX one that I have says 7/8. So I guess the EX one is slighty better, but do you think it's worth the hassle of swapping it out? I'd rather swap it out for something better like a GSR one. I'm not new to Hondas. I'd say the most challenging thing I worked on was a clutch install. Since you're in the bay, maybe you can help me out when the time comes for that rear disc conversion. :mrgreen:

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Well, I looked at my DX one and it said 13/16. The EX one that I have says 7/8. So I guess the EX one is slighty better, but do you think it's worth the hassle of swapping it out? I'd rather swap it out for something better like a GSR one. I'm not new to Hondas. I'd say the most challenging thing I worked on was a clutch install. Since you're in the bay, maybe you can help me out when the time comes for that rear disc conversion. :mrgreen:

the 7/8" MC is bigger, but it would be way to much trouble to put in a GSR one, because all the lines are on the wrong side to match up, which means you have to bend and make new lines to match, i'd say if you want it a little bigger, go buy a 91 ex brake MC(15/16) for about $40, and all the lines will match up. but in all honesty, i'd through in the 7/8 MC since you have it. it will be better than the dx one you have.

yeah, i wouldn't mind givin a hand sometime. just let me know.

the 7/8" MC is bigger, but it would be way to much trouble to put in a GSR one, because all the lines are on the wrong side to match up, which means you have to bend and make new lines to match, i'd say if you want it a little bigger, go buy a 91 ex brake MC(15/16) for about $40, and all the lines will match up. but in all honesty, i'd through in the 7/8 MC since you have it. it will be better than the dx one you have.

yeah, i wouldn't mind givin a hand sometime. just let me know.

Can I buy the 91 ex brake MC at a parts store for $40 brand new? If that's the case, I might as well do that. What city are you in by the way? Thanks, bro.

Back