1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

99 civic ex coupe swap questions

Discussion in 'Civic and del Sol - EG and EK' started by rubyred48, May 26, 2013.

1. rubyred48

rubyred48 New Member

As you all should know by the title I have the d16y8 motor with auto and I have a leak that's going to require me to drop the motor. It has 190,000 miles and I have access to a B18b auto motor with about 45,000 miles. I was wondering how hard they would be to swap out. And how hard would it be to convert to a manual trans.

2. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

How hard depends on your skill level and your budget. The swap and manual conversion are both pretty well documented already. Welcome to Hondaswap!

3. rubyred48

rubyred48 New Member

My skill level is up there. My goal is to get it in without too much modification. Kind of the easy way out instead of tearing down the block. I just want to know if I can just drop it and tie it in or if I have to change the mounts or electronics or anything major.

4. dilbeckskate

dilbeckskate infamous

Welcome to hondaswap, in all honesty if I was going to do a complete b-series swap and converting to manual transmission , I would get a complete (doesnt have to be nice) donor car, preff wrecked in the rear end, t-boned soo you have everything there to do the conversion and wont have to piece things together as you go, ex: petal assembly, wiring harness, ecu , axles etc, you will need d2b conversion mounts, im not sure if the engine harnesses between automatic and manual cars are the same ( never owned a automatic car ) im assuming they will be different on that newer of a car because im pretty postive they are electronic shift, feel free to use the search bar, and ask any questions if needed, have a good one bud

5. rubyred48

rubyred48 New Member

But if I stayed auto I could just get the d2b mounts and drop her in? Obv I'm sure I'd have to change the ecu

6. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Probably? But the D2B mount setups are all for manual transmission cars- they don't take into account the mate between one automatic and another torque converter. You'll have to figure out how to make the connection on your own. I don't know how the ECU talks to the transmission either- if you swap the engine but leave the transmission in place, the ECU and/or transmission might not work properly. It'd be easier for you to drop the entire B series automatic drivetrain in if you wanted to keep it automatic.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted