1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

99 civic ex swap question

Discussion in 'ECU's, Electronics, and Tuning' started by e30etakid, Jul 21, 2008.

1. e30etakid

e30etakid New Member

Hey guys. I'm an audi/volkswagen/bmw mechanic. My brother in-law needed a new motor in his civic due to his incompetence to drive like a normal human being. I leave it up to him to get everything together and I would perform the transplant.
    Car: 99 civic ex
    Original motor: D16Y8
    Motor purchased: D15B w/ 3 stage vtec. http://www.jdmenginedepot.com/jdm_engine_details/112/Honda_Civic_D15B_(W/3-Stage_VTEC)

He brought me a clutch kit, timing belt, water pump, vtec ecu, and various fluids.
    I received the motor and had immediatly realized it was not a d16y8. He then called jdmenginedepot.com and talked to a service rep. He informed my brother in-law that the engine would be a direct swap. After looking both motors over, I don't see how. (different intake manifolds. wiring harness, vacum lines, and a couple sensors.

The question at hand is what all is needed to perform this swap?
    different wiring harness?
    re-wiring a few things?
    various sensors?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced,

-Keith

2. e30etakid

e30etakid New Member

Bump?

3. AHHVTEC

AHHVTEC Well-Known Member VIP

naa it is a direct swap you have everything you need already

4. e30etakid

e30etakid New Member

The d16y8 is a single stage vtech motor. There are various sensors on the intake mani of the d15b that the intake mani on the d16 does not have. I swapped intake manifolds, wire'd up one vtech solenoid switch thermostat housing's, and a oil temp sensor?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted