99 civic ex swap question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

e30etakid

Hey guys. I'm an audi/volkswagen/bmw mechanic. My brother in-law needed a new motor in his civic due to his incompetence to drive like a normal human being. I leave it up to him to get everything together and I would perform the transplant.
Car: 99 civic ex
Original motor: D16Y8
Motor purchased: D15B w/ 3 stage vtec. http://www.jdmenginedepot.com/jdm_engine_details/112/Honda_Civic_D15B_(W/3-Stage_VTEC)

He brought me a clutch kit, timing belt, water pump, vtec ecu, and various fluids.
I received the motor and had immediatly realized it was not a d16y8. He then called jdmenginedepot.com and talked to a service rep. He informed my brother in-law that the engine would be a direct swap. After looking both motors over, I don't see how. (different intake manifolds. wiring harness, vacum lines, and a couple sensors.

The question at hand is what all is needed to perform this swap?
different wiring harness?
re-wiring a few things?
various sensors?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced,

-Keith

The d16y8 is a single stage vtech motor. There are various sensors on the intake mani of the d15b that the intake mani on the d16 does not have. I swapped intake manifolds, wire'd up one vtech solenoid switch thermostat housing's, and a oil temp sensor?

Back