99 civic vtec d16y7 bottom & harness vtec head nightmare

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

AARDVARKMUSIC

OK: The idiot I bought the car from pulled the VTEC motor & harness out & replaced with a D16Y7. He also pulled the Auto trans and installed a 5 speed manual.

I decided to do a MiniMe swap which looked to appear relatively simple at the time.

However, once the VTEC head was installed, we discovered the VTEC solenoid pin at the ECU was missing.

We also discovered that the harness came from a D16Y7 (we THINK).

Oh- did I mention we do have the VTEC manual trans ECU in the car?

So we replaced the ECU pin and ran a jumper from the solenoid to the ECU.
There was no wire to run from the ECU to the oil pressure sensor.
So we ran another jumper from the ECU to the OPS. No dice.

Still have a fluctating idle that won't go away...

Since my block doesn't have a VTEC knock sensor, even if I had the right harness, I would not be able to hook that wire...
Should I buy the VTEC harness? Would it make any difference? Is it possible the idle fluctuation is due to a code being thrown?

WHAT AM I MISSING HERE?

CAR HAS BEEN IN THE SHOP FOR FIVE MONTHS AND DRIVING ME AND THE SHOP CRAZY. PLEASE HELP! THANKS!

Okay...if you did a search for the problem this is one of the most common posts on this site with reference to this problem.

It sounds like you have the TPS and the MAP sensor backwards, or not properly hooked up. Thats the only thing that gives u a 'bouncy' idle until the car is warmed up. The vtec is not the problem but not having it installed will just throw a code, not the bouncy idle. Next, sooner or later I will throw my build on here to show people how I 'ghetto' wired the vtec, but there are a few sites out that have diagrams and complete pictures as to how to install the vtec and which wires to splice into. Also, I honestly don't know what ecu to use for the mini-me, but my guess is that you need a p28 for full functionality.

And you probably need a si harness. (ex in the states i think)
I dont know about the ek, but my eg has the STOCK mapsensor on the FIREWALL, the one you need to connect it too is ON THE THROTTLE BODY.

So,
Check TPS and MAP SENSOR WIRING.
google search vtec wire install under IMAGES
and come back if u need a hand :D +rep if it helps

Did you check to see if the IACV was properly hooked up? Y7s and automatic Y8s use a 3 wire IACV, but the 5 speed Y8s use a 2 wire.

Back