99 DX Hatch Drifting

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

webink_EK9

Anyway, my civic drifts now that I've got it back. The back end comes out real easy. I know all you guys said put the stuff on one piece at a time, but I'm retarded. The front grips well and the back is light. This isn't all that bad of thing, but what causes it? Stiff back end and soft front? I gave the fightex coilovers back for just this reason, but now its still doing the same thing. Maybe it wasn't the coilovers. I'm going to wait until I get my tires on my new rims before I start messing with anything. I'll probably get the Tien HS or HA or whatever they are...don't remember. Will coilovers help correct this if tuned right? Don't want to take the autox course backwards.

Originally posted by vtecsir1@May 8 2004, 01:10 PM
do you have a rear sway bar? if not you should get one.

and what exactly is that going to do??????

adding a rear sway bar (or thicker rear sway bar) to a tail happy car will only make the car MORE tail happy

first get some decent tires on there ... then get the suspension tuned in properly

Ok. I'll work on the basics before I start taking things off. How do you tune the suspension? I don't want to use the street for testing and I don't know of any big lots to use in my area. I guess I'll have to do it at the next autoX meet later this month. Any good suggestions for tuning? How do you guys go about doing this?

hmm weren't you the guy who bought 20 suspension pieces at once?
and didn't i say that's retarded & you're gonna come on here whining? :slap:

first off, it's called oversteer. second, an oversteering car in an inexperienced driver's hands is dangerous. if you get spinning, push the brake & clutch in immediately.

how you go about tuning suspension is RIP EVERYTHING OFF AND DO IT ONE AT A TIME. like i said a month ago.

Originally posted by jwn7@May 9 2004, 12:28 PM
first off, it's called oversteer. second, an oversteering car in an inexperienced driver's hands is dangerous. if you get spinning, push the brake & clutch in immediately.

Umm, no. If your start to spin, dont push the brake, that will just make you totally loose it. If the back end steps out pretty quick, mash the gas. This will cause you to start to understeer and will get you back to going straight.

And to the starter of this thread, Why do you have Fightex coilovers on just the back. Second, are you talking about the REAL fightex coilovers as in these.

product_b16a_fightex_st.jpg

Why would you just do the rear?

Second of all, what is your actuall suspension setup? We can not just say a cure without knowing your suspension setup.

I would recomend upgrading your front sway.

Originally posted by asmallsol@May 9 2004, 11:49 AM
Umm, no. If your start to spin, dont push the brake, that will just make you totally loose it. If the back end steps out pretty quick, mash the gas. This will cause you to start to understeer and will get you back to going straight.

:no:
go ask a driving instructor how to stop a spin. ever hear the saying "in a spin, push both in".
mash the gas :lol:
it's a FF car genius

if your already in a spin (more then 90 degrees) yes you do push both in, but if your not totally spinning, you just have your ass end slowly going out, push the gas further in to try and save it. If you cant save it, yea you do push both in.

Originally posted by E_SolSi+May 8 2004, 12:38 PM-->
@May 8 2004, 01:10 PM
do you have a rear sway bar? if not you should get one.

and what exactly is that going to do??????

adding a rear sway bar (or thicker rear sway bar) to a tail happy car will only make the car MORE tail happy

first get some decent tires on there ... then get the suspension tuned in properly

so your saying just not have a sway bar at all huh, cant agree with you there

did your even listen to what the person who posted this said?

What does a rear sway do? It makes your rear end slide out easier. If he already is too tail happy, why would he want to go bigger?

asmallsol is controdicting himself:

QUOTE (jwn7 @ May 9 2004, 12:28 PM)
if you get spinning, push the brake & clutch in immediately.

asmallsol:
"Umm, no. If your start to spin, dont push the brake, that will just make you totally loose it."

next thread:

asmallsol:
"if your already in a spin (more then 90 degrees) yes you do push both in"

dude not to crap on you but...

How does a sway bar "MAKE" your tail slip?
-sesne

it is common sense if you go around a turn too fast you will loose control. tires would help you stick better yeah, but seriously why do drive fasten enuogh to where you complain about accidentaly loosing control around turns on a daily basis?
wtf?-wow thats fun

and you all act as if drifting is soooo terrible. i try to drift on a daily basis when i enter shopping centers with large enterances, and it is sooooo fun!!!

Originally posted by jdmvteccrx@May 10 2004, 05:59 AM
asmallsol is controdicting himself:

QUOTE (jwn7 @ May 9 2004, 12:28 PM)
if you get spinning, push the brake & clutch in immediately.

asmallsol:
"Umm, no. If your start to spin, dont push the brake, that will just make you totally loose it."

next thread:

asmallsol:
"if your already in a spin (more then 90 degrees) yes you do push both in"

dude not to crap on you but...

How does a sway bar "MAKE" your tail slip?
-sesne

and you all act as if drifting is soooo terrible. i try to drift on a daily basis when i enter shopping centers with large enterances, and it is sooooo fun!!!

There are two different scenerios, one is about to lose control, the other is lost control So no, he didn't contradict himself, reading comrehension involves more than just understanding the words, but also what they mean in context.

Rear sway doesn't hold a gun to your head, but if you knew about suspension, and how different setups will affeect turning, than you wouldn't even ask.

I really didn't want to comment on this, but the first time you hit a pedestrian, because you were being cool and, "drifting" into a shopping center, don't be surprised when the judge nails you for involuntary manslaughter.

Originally posted by jdmvteccrx@May 10 2004, 12:59 AM
it is common sense if you go around a turn too fast you will loose control. tires would help you stick better yeah, but seriously why do drive fasten enuogh to where you complain about accidentaly loosing control around turns on a daily basis?
wtf?-wow thats fun

Your a moron.

As 92b16vx just said, these are 2 diffrent situations.

Second, why do I worry about having my back end step out?

"drifting" or oversteer may look cool, but in autocross or Road racing, it rarely is the fastest way through a turn.

Originally posted by asmallsol@May 9 2004, 10:06 PM
did your even listen to what the person who posted this said?

What does a rear sway do? It makes your rear end slide out easier. If he already is too tail happy, why would he want to go bigger?

why would he want to go bigger...this makes no sense since his car isnt equipped with a sway bar from the factory and i havent seen him mention he has one. from my expieriences with my own civic when i got a rear sway bar it stopped some of the sliding out that i had when i had nothing back there, but some of you are so dead set on what you think is right or wrong it doesnt matter.

I had those fightex on all four corners, not just on the back...sorry if thats the way it sounded. There's my setup.
Front uper tie bar, lower u-bar or h-brace, skunk 2 camber kit, rear uper tie bar (uper being by the top part of the hatch opening), rear tower brace, lower tie bar and skunk2 rear control arms. I went with neuspeed stuff, but my shop ended up switching it out for skunk2 stuff. Not a bad deal I hope.
They took off the fightex stuff and are waiting on me to pick coilovers. They also have the rear sway bar to put on. That came in after the rest of the stuff.
I'm having a little trouble knowing which advice to take. I don't think I'm going to take all that stuff off because I won't e able to put it back together. As for which coilovers, are the tein's good and which are the best for autoX application?

Sorry for starting fights and yeah Jwn7, I should have listened, but oh well now.

Originally posted by jdmvteccrx@May 9 2004, 11:59 PM
wtf?-wow thats fun

What are you talking about? I don't drive this car on a daily basis. I don't like the tail coming out. If I drive slow, I get bad times, so thats out of the question. I don't understand that remark. I'm building this car for mainly autoX and track use.

And seriously, I don't think drifting on public roads is the worst thing in the world, but keep it away from people. If you pulled that around me and I had my kids with me, I'd pull you out of your car and OWN YOU!

Anyway I just read that post. Sorry for not jumping on you before today!

Originally posted by jdmvteccrx@May 9 2004, 11:59 PM

wow your stupid

if you really had the fightex why would you take them off? They are a shit load better then any tein, even the RE's and n1's.

Back