99 eclipse gs

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Kcihcaton

A local dealership is selling a 1999 Mitsu Eclipse GS for $6000. It seems to be in very good condition though I haven't test driven it yet.
Are these generally good cars? I haven't heard much about them, but I really like the body style.
Any comments?

or you can hold the 6 g's and find an older gst or gsx. Far better choice than the gs. can't argue with a 4g63 turbo with all wheel drive (gsx.)

I would venture to guess that he doesn't want an all out drag car and is thinking of this car because it's not the fastest gas chugging thing around.

well, i am looking for something i can make fast, but i actually have only very little to put down, and am looking to finance
i just went and looked at it, and i dont think im going to get it, im gonna hold out until i find an integra or civic i like

whats wrong with dsm's, my friend has a laser rs, awd-turbo, same thing as gsx just lighter, same engine, those things are fast

Originally posted by Kcihcaton@Nov 21 2004, 06:04 PM
well, i am looking for something i can make fast, but i actually have only very little to put down, and am looking to finance
i just went and looked at it, and i dont think im going to get it, im gonna hold out until i find an integra or civic i like
[post=420101]Quoted post[/post]​

you will never make a non-turbo dsm fast.

pass that pos up

sweet, that was exactly the feedback I was looking for.
well I mean, I would rather everyone had said, 'OMG ITS THE BEST'
but I'm glad the feedback is consistent so I know where I can stand on the issue.

thanks ya

Kcihcaton,

I would recommend you hold up on the Eclipse GS. You should save up for more funds, so you can get a better car. Since your a fan of that body-style, I would recommend you go for a GST or GSX. They'll have more potential, than a base model Eclipse, such as a GS. GSX is great off of the line, but against a GST on a roll. The GST has that race. This is from personal experience. They're both great cars, its your chose FWD turbo (GST), or AWD turbo (GSX).

I'm from Virginia, and there's a few GST for the same price range as the GS.

Originally posted by NyQuiL_AcCoRD@Nov 29 2004, 10:25 PM
Kcihcaton,

I would recommend you hold up on the Eclipse GS. You should save up for more funds, so you can get a better car. Since your a fan of that body-style, I would recommend you go for a GST or GSX. They'll have more potential, than a base model Eclipse, such as a GS. GSX is great off of the line, but against a GST on a roll. The GST has that race. This is from personal experience. They're both great cars, its your chose FWD turbo (GST), or AWD turbo (GSX).

I'm from Virginia, and there's a few GST for the same price range as the GS.
[post=423912]Quoted post[/post]​

I'd get a 2nd Gen Eclipse GSX/Talon TSI AWD w/ rear LSD if possible. I probably wouldnt touch one if it didnt have a rebuilt motor though.

I'm looking into getting a 95 Talon Tsi AWD w/ 110k on the body, and 20k on a new motor thats warrantied to 75k through Jasper Motors. The only thing that may hold me back is that the car was originally a lease, but the engine does have a warranty on it like a new car and it looks like its in good shape.

People talk a lot of smack about DSMs without first researching them or owning one. If you were planning on doing a swap or getting one with a rebuilt engine than I see no reliability issues there as long as you're not an assclown and dont demolish their 'glass' trannies. Those glass trannies can hold 500whp+ if driven on right, just like people call the wrx/sti trannys glass.

crankwalk1.jpg

crankwalk2.jpg

Okay we get the idea, and for some reason I never really found that picture that funny.

I know its a joke and all but getting serious, any car can walk...many do, its just how bad over manufacturers allowance does the car walk. So many 2nd gen engines have crankwalk but people will never know because they dont get a knocking or any real signs, but the crankwalk is still present if examined.

Originally posted by Kcihcaton@Dec 1 2004, 05:10 PM
What's crankwalk?
[post=424680]Quoted post[/post]​

Basically when the crank starts to 'walk' or seperate itself from the block mainly caused by a shitty oiling system in DSMs.

Here a mitsu owner's site defined it. The part about the oil squirtters being clogged is what I was talking about as far as a 'shitty' oiling system that basically starves itself and causes the walk

http://www.prostreetonline.com/pso/pages/t...asp?articleid=5

Back