99' lsvtec problem and a question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cangsekie

i just bought an ls and did lsvtec on it with help of my friend.
everything went smooth (i think im having a minor oil leak cuz i saw some oil on my engine..)
now.. when i first start my engine it doesnt sound.. "right" i dont get a clear sound from it should i say... then my rpm goes up and down between 1g ~ 2g but calms down after a few seconds.. also once in a while rpm goes down to 300~500... i have to rev it for a few seconds to get my idle right-_-...
thats my first problem.. then here comes the second one...

i changed my header and manifold while i was doing lsvtec but kept stock exhaust (didnt have enough money to buy it, still saving) so when i hit my vtec (kicks in around 5800ish) a smoke comes out of my exhuast couldnt clearly see the color of it.... also i hear "ticking" sound from my fuel distributor..

sigh... i guess working on these stuff not as a professional isnt that great..:(

can someone please HELP ME!

2 things you might want to check on the idle. 1. check your IACV 2. check the coolant why is your vtec kicking in so late? what ecu are you using? did you get it tuned?

2 things you might want to check on the idle. 1. check your IACV 2. check the coolant why is your vtec kicking in so late? what ecu are you using? did you get it tuned?

For question 1 I totally agree with 90teggy check your IACV and check your coolant.
For the second question I guarantee your are running a bit rich I would go have it tuned, do you by chance see a loss of mpg??
As for his VTEC kicking in late I would imagine he is talking about his secondaries and is running a GSR head, if I am wrong about that I have no clue.

i took it to my friend's dad's shop today and they took the engine apart then he told me when the machine shop that he took the parts to didnt do a good job on it.. so something was leaking he wouldnt tell me what.. cuz he is a ....ing retard :mad:
neways, i didnt get it tuned and yes i am using gsr head
u think my vtec kicks in too late? hmm.. and im using obd 1

i took it to my friend's dad's shop today and they took the engine apart then he told me when the machine shop that he took the parts to didnt do a good job on it.. so something was leaking he wouldnt tell me what.. cuz he is a ....ing retard :mad:
neways, i didnt get it tuned and yes i am using gsr head
u think my vtec kicks in too late? hmm.. and im using obd 1

The point at which your VTEC kicks on depends on the ECU that you're using. If you're using the GS-R head AND intake manifold, then you should be using a GS-R ECU as well...

Your ls/vtec wasn't put together properly, so it seems. As for the smoke in vtec, that all depends on the color. Could be rich a/f mixture or it could be oil burning. Since your running obd1, I would suggest using an obd1 distributor, obd1 injectors/clips, obd1 p72 ecu/ecm (gsr) and the proper intake manifold/tb for that engine.

For question 1 I totally agree with 90teggy check your IACV and check your coolant.
For the second question I guarantee your are running a bit rich I would go have it tuned, do you by chance see a loss of mpg??
As for his VTEC kicking in late I would imagine he is talking about his secondaries and is running a GSR head, if I am wrong about that I have no clue.

yes i did lose a lot of mpg.. and its killing me given the fact that i run on 93 octane and its freaking almost 4.30 a gallon.. HELP!

Back