99 SI turbo setup

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

23%? Have you done pcp recently? When we dyno'd my old lsvtec it made 204whp, crank hp was 223. You don't lose that much power, but it all depends on the clutch/flywheel setup in most cases.

ok ok my bad was miss informed. I thought u was stating that the T4 was just so so. and that i could get something better that results in more power but if the T4 gives better track time and i can run 5-6 psi as a daily driver then im cool with that.

Don't get in over your head. Get a greddy kit w/intercooler and all the good stuff and boost 8psi safely and be happy with the results, im sure you will be.

going from crank hp to whp you will lose about 23% of your horsepower. it doesnt go up.

your b16 can easily take 10psi of boost with stock internals, just add bigger injectors, walbro fuel pump, and a fpr... if you dont wanna boost more than 15psi then 350cc injectors will be more than enough. always remember a good tuning with it.
wow so what are you saying my stock d16a6 has more or less hp???
thats crackhead info you just handed out

dude i understand what you said totally...do i agree..hell no..you do not lose 23% in the mix..thats almost 1/4 of your power..
now after some research i came up with this..
awd loses 25% through drivetrain
fwd loses 10-15% through drivetrain(and thats with normal weight fluid)soo you will only lose that much hp if.you put heavier weight fluid in your tranny..which would then lead to catastrophic failure...
before posting actually do your research DICK!!!

Last edited:
Damn I was about to say 23%??

Some guy: "Yea guys I got this badass turbo kit my car's got 300hp!!"
Some other guy: "So you're runnin 231 whp?!?! daaaaaaamn" LOL

Come on...how can it really be measured by any percentage at all? Let's say we get into huge numbers....3,000 hp. Just 10% of that is 300 hp.

So does that mean that, in a 2wd car running 3,000 hp, its drivetrain is so gay that it takes 300hp just to get the slightest bit of rotation to the tires?

I disagree with both, I think it depends on the drivetrain itself. Like to me the stock drivetrain on my Civic will always deduct the same amount of HP from the crank to the wheels no matter if I've got 125 hp or if I've got 800 hp.

going from crank hp to whp you will lose about 23% of your horsepower. it doesnt go up.

your b16 can easily take 10psi of boost with stock internals, just add bigger injectors, walbro fuel pump, and a fpr... if you dont wanna boost more than 15psi then 350cc injectors will be more than enough. always remember a good tuning with it.

350cc? wtf is that?? I know ppl who run 440's on sohc turbo running 8psi. 15psi = A LOT more injector or else you will be seeing a lean in the a/f mixture.
And when you change your injectors you need to run some type of engine management to edit the maps. Not all b16's can handle 10psi. A HEALTHY b16 can handle 10psi responsibly with proper tuning. Its all about the condition of the engine.

Last edited:
250hp will get you probably somewhere around high 13's or in the 14's which is a respectable 1/4 for a Civic.

204whp got me 12.5 @ 106 in my eg hatch (not gutted), just on slicks. 250 whp on slicks in an eg hatch will go high 11's.
Terry Cheung's 2.0L ITR (Jeff Taylor's old engine on itb's) made 242whp and he went 12.0 on slicks @ atco for IDRC years back.

EDIT: 12.5 was not gutted, but NO front/rear bumper supports.

lol, your four door wont be that much slower if you think about it. Four door dx's weigh less than the coupes. :D

350cc? wtf is that?? I know ppl who run 440's on sohc turbo running 8psi. 15psi = A LOT more injector or else you will be seeing a lean in the a/f mixture.
And when you change your injectors you need to run some type of engine management to edit the maps. Not all b16's can handle 10psi. A HEALTHY b16 can handle 10psi responsibly with proper tuning. Its all about the condition of the engine.

Ok so let me get this straight. I can run 8 psi on my DD with proper tuning with stock injectors? and if I got bigger injects then i have to chip my ecu or get a completly new one if so can u name some that would work? Would all internals be fine stock? Do i have to upgrade the camshaft/gears or valve springs, 3 angle valve job, port & polish or is that for when you start dealing with all out race cars. The car has 75,000 miles and it use to be a middle age ladies car it was completely stock.

rc injectors,or injectors from a dsm(eagle talon) will work just fine,your motor should hold 8 psi just fine with a good tune,you do not have to upgrade anything until you start going for big power,just a dd,stock with 8psi will suit you just fine,
if i was you i would not go by what bigg86 told you,due to the fact most of it was false info..but hey just my .02,

If you do use dsm injector's you will have to run the resistor box. But as for your stock fuel system, 8psi can be done. But anything more and you will need to upgrade.

Get a 12:1 FMU, and missing link. Like I have said before, its not the best thing to do, but it will get you by on 8psi safely. The right thing to do at minimum would be injectors and some type of engine management.

250 is def. doable. No you dont need an oil cooler. i would help but its not needed.

its always a safe measure to upgrade the fuel delivery. injectors and fuel pump are a must. 440's should be more than enough for injectors. Reason i say that is because you will eventually want more boost. better to have more than enough.

As far as psi that doesnt mean shit until you know you know what setup you want to run. Big turbo or small turbo give out different numbers and reach peak boost at different rpms. its all in you setup Its also all in the tuning. make sure whoever tunes it know what they are going. 8psi on a t3/t4 sounds about normal. other than that i dont know

Just go buy a rev hard or greddy kist and be happy. Those kits normally have everything you need and will get you your power numbers

I wouldn't use an fmu on stock injectors on 8psi with any turbo. Maybe 5psi on a 14b or something very small but that is a waste on a b16. If you are increasing the size of your injectors you will need to have a chipped ecu installed with atleast a basemap burnt onto it.

Yes 450cc dsm injectors work great, it's what I had on my setup but you will need either a resistor box or 10watt 10ohm resistors installed in line with each of them.

Also I wouldn't go by PSI but whp. That is how all things are measured, a bigger turbo on 8 psi will make more power than smaller turbo on 8psi. You should be able to handle 250whp on a stock b16 wheather that is 8 or 15psi on whatever turbo you run. Run low psi, no more than 5psi on a basemap then get a dyno tune or street tune for the higher psi. Obviously the dyno tune would be better because you can set your wastegate to run the proper pressure for 250whp and it will be tuned better.

Don't listen to a word bigg86 said because it is all wrong.

Last edited:
Smaller turbo DOES NOT mean better track times.

We are talking about a b16 here, NOT a d16. A 14b on a B16 is worthless in the top end. On a D16, maybe a slightly different story.

You'll want something like a t3/t4. Thats the most common setup, and there's a reason why. You get decent spool times while still maintaining good top end power.

T3/T4 FTW, decent tune ~240/250whp, and you're good to go.

Smaller turbo DOES NOT mean better track times.

We are talking about a b16 here, NOT a d16. A 14b on a B16 is worthless in the top end. On a D16, maybe a slightly different story.

You'll want something like a t3/t4. Thats the most common setup, and there's a reason why. You get decent spool times while still maintaining good top end power.

T3/T4 FTW, decent tune ~240/250whp, and you're good to go.

Who ever said that?

Yes a 14b is pointless to put on a b16. You could however use a T3 out of a volvo or thunderbird or nissan 300zx single turbo if you want a junkyard turbo kit.

Back