99 USDM GSR Harness work for my JDM B18C5 swap in 96 EK?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

What's up all. I am trying to go the easy route and just buy a USDM Engine Wiring Harness for my JDM B18C5 swap to save myself some trouble wiring up VTEC. I heard that a 99-00 USDM Civic SI Harness is the one to get since it is out of an EK chasis and is plug and play.

My question is can I also use a USDM B18C1 harness? Would it still all be plug and play?

Thanks Every1!

no, I dont' think all b18c5s are obd2, if it is usdm, then yes, obd2, but in japan there are obd 1 ITRs I think, the engine code might have been just b18c tho, Im not 100% sure, but I know I have seen obd1 ITRs

anyway, if your engine is obd2, then yes, you can use either harness, 99-00 civic si would be the better shoice because of wire colors. . . but the obd2 gsr harness would also work, the gsr harness would have an extra plug for the IAB butterfly valve actuator, but it should be all good.

cheaper would be to use your stock harness and add the vtec wires, I don't know how much harnesses go for, but it's gotta be waay cheaper to use your stock harness and then use the plugs from the jdm harness to run the vtec wires.

yeah that was what I was originally going to do. I just thought if I got the SI harness it would keep the swap super simple and I could still get some money back after I sell the jdm harness (hopefully ;).

But so the question was the 99 GSR LHD harness would be plug and play? That extra IAB plug just hangs out unattached and no engine codes or anything?

Has anyone else had good results with this harness? Why is it that the 99-00 Civic SI harness is always mentioned but never the Integra USDM GSR one? Thanks

The 99-00 si harness wont work in your 96 ek.
b18c5's are ALL obd2. It depends on what harness is in your car right now. is it the stock harness from the factory? if so, than its odb2a. You can use that harness you will just need to get the jumper harness to convert it from obd2a to obd2b. if its a 00+ itr motor, its obd2b ecu that runs that motor. if its out of a 96-98 itr, its obd2a. Find out which motor your running and run the proper dizzy and ecu to match it. Do it right the first time and you wont throw codes. just make sure you have the crank fluctuation sensor on the oil pump. its a 2 wire deal i beleive. that, and vtec, pressure needs to be ran to the ecu because it wont be in your factory harness. Thats probably going to be the cheapest and smartest way to do your swap.

oh yea, btw the JDM ITR MOTOR is stamped "B18C". The USM ITR is stamped 'b18c5'. =)

hehe yeah I know the JDM Type R's are only B18C stamped. I just wanted to clarify so as to be really clear (prolly making it more confusing ;)

I believe the car has the original harness- has stock motor.

So 96 JDM B18C in to a USDM 96 EK Hatch - both would be OBD2a then?

It sounds like the easiest thing is still to just extend the wires needed for VTEC then?

Thanks for Your Help

oh yea, btw the JDM ITR MOTOR is stamped "B18C". The USM ITR is stamped 'b18c5'. =)

That's what I thought, it just threw me off because he said he has b18c5 JDM, either way, it was the b18c gsr JDM that was obd1, that too was throwing me off.

Good luck with the swap, sounds like JDM_EK9R knows what he is taking about, makes sense to me.

does anyone have a couple of links that outline the process of running the wires for VTEC? Anyone have pictures that show exactly what has to be done? The wiring VTEC here in the swap section doesn't seem too clear to me.

There have got to be some good links on the web for this one.

Thanks!

The 99-00 si harness wont work in your 96 ek.

I beg to differ. I have a friend with a 98ek and he used the 99-00 Si harness when he did a b18c5 swap and he hasn't had a problem to date. Not to say that it wont work, just that it is possible. In his case, his mechanically inclined when it comes to that stuff. Might just be a familiarity thing with the harness.

that sounds about right cause I heard that the 99-00 SI engine wire harness is the best one to use. I figure it is true because the chasis code stays the same this way. It might truly be plug and play.. The question is does the connection at the fire wall have VTEC? Otherwise I heard you just run a wire from the sensors all the way to the ecu. Is that what I do if I want to just extend my RHD harness?

Also how come no one mentions the USDM GSR harness when seeking a plug and play harness in a EK?

thanks.

... you do know that VTEC is only 2 wires... right? it's not hard dude...
1 wire to the solenoid, 1 wire to the oil pressure, then from that plug you've got a ground.

How hard is it to wire it up??? would you rather pay $150+ to wire in 2 wires!?
GL with that!

... you do know that VTEC is only 2 wires... right? it's not hard dude...
1 wire to the solenoid, 1 wire to the oil pressure, then from that plug you've got a ground.

How hard is it to wire it up??? would you rather pay $150+ to wire in 2 wires!?
GL with that!

shit not even that hard, the JDM motors dont have a VTEC oil pressure, the JDM ECU does not bother looking for it

SO you dont have to wire the oil pressure or the ground for it, just wire for the Solenoid and your done:D

I have a ITR motor in my EG what year is yours

Last edited:
well there you go. So ALL of the other wires reach from the JDM harness to the ecu besides those two? What's the deal with the Integra harness' being 2 piece and ending at the fire wall. Is that true?

I have a 1996 JDM B18C (5) just sitting. I am almost ready to drop thay b1tch in there... I just want to make it all happen in one weekend so I ask a bunch of "stupid" questions.

Thanks to All Who Have Been Helpful. I'll be sure to let you all know how it turns out!

Peace.

Back