1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a big FU to sea gate

Discussion in 'Computers, Games, Electronics etc' started by jeffie7, Oct 16, 2005.

1. jeffie7

jeffie7 Wrong Whole! VIP

[​IMG]

My less then 1 year old 200gb seagate harddrive. I had it in my computer as a slave drive. I had my music backed up as with tons of programs and pictures.

gone.

Thankfully I didnt lose a lot of my music files, Im not 100% sure what I did lose. all I know is I lost 100% of my samples (used when making music) I have about $800 worth on CDs the rest were riped off the net wink wink.

either way. another one bites the dust, and in this case. the drive wasnt even 6 months old!

Its under warranty or I should say it was before I pulled it apart to look for anything obvious that was wrong. I was just hoping to get it working long enough to pull some data off it. ohwell. Chit happens.
    I didnt want to do a warranty replacment on it becuase of data that was kept on that drive. from riped samples to random programs. I'd rather just buy a new one.

plus 90 bucks gets you a new 300GB drive with zero wait and no hassles.

2. jeffie7

jeffie7 Wrong Whole! VIP

3. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

get a raid controller y0

4. Sabz5150

Sabz5150 FALCON PUNCH!!!

I agree.

And 90 bucks for 300 gigs? WHERE?

5. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Why? You just reduce your fault tolerance unless you double up and run RAID 1.

6. Sabz5150

Sabz5150 FALCON PUNCH!!!

Fuck RAID 1. RAID 5 is where it's at my friend.

My bud and I are working on constructing a 1TB+ array and with that amount of data, RAID 5 is a must. Sure, you'll be buying an extra drive, but it's worth it for the redundancy.

Does he need 1TB of space. Well, seeing that his current 600GB array has a little less than 4 gigs left, I'd say he does.

7. Citizen_Insane

Citizen_Insane Senior Member

Um...if you hadn't pulled that apart segate would have restored the data for you....

8. jeffie7

jeffie7 Wrong Whole! VIP

There's no guarantee, besides like I said in my post I didnt want them seeing any of the data on there =)~

Besides it's only 88 bucks for a new WD drive. (the one I went with) shiped.

It will get me back to work on music sooner then if I were to send it and waiting 2-3 weeks.

9. vtecsir1

vtecsir1 Senior Member

systems guys here at work freeze them to try and pull data off, i dont know if it really works though.

10. CRX-YEM

CRX-YEM Super Moderator Moderator VIP

No, I'm pretty sure they only repair the drive, they do not warrenty any content on the drives, no manufacturer does.

Oh and great price on a 2ooGB drive, but your going to end up saying FU to WD as well, I've had 2 drive within one week of each other die in a server. multiple 60-120Gb drive die in less than a year. WD has really lost it's edge. I've been using Maxtor for a while now. in fact I've got a 120GB maxtor drive that's been running for 5 years 24/7 and counting. and I can't complain.

11. jeffie7

jeffie7 Wrong Whole! VIP

Any hard drive is bound to crash. but 6 months is kinda earily IMO.

I've had a handful of maxtors go up in flames. well not in flames but click click click... same for WD, and Seagate.

My current main drive is a WD and so far "knock on wood" its still going strong so I figured why not try them out again.

12. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

i just picked up a new seagate barracuda 250gb for 69.99 through one of my vendors :)

13. jeffie7

jeffie7 Wrong Whole! VIP

Hope she last more then 6mo =) The drive I had also came in 250gb. =) Seagate barracuda with 8meg cache

14. TurboMirage

doesnt matter if it does or not. ill just call up DTI and have them pull the data off it.

15. confusatron

confusatron Senior Member

Most likely you got hacked buddy. Same thing happened to me about 6 months ago. I lost everything. It was a Western Digital 200GB, it was about 2 years old or so. I gave it to a buddy of mine after losing all my shit, and he's still running it just fine. I got hacked.

16. jeffie7

jeffie7 Wrong Whole! VIP

New drive just took a dump, not 100% so Im backing up the little bit of shit I have that isnt backed up yet....

Click Click... Click Click.

mofo!

17. TurboMirage

WOW 4 months on a brand new drive :)

18. jeffie7

jeffie7 Wrong Whole! VIP

I never did see this post.

So you're telling me that even when a drive fails you can still use it? I've never once heard about that before. last time I checked when something hardware wise breaks you cant use a software fix like reformatting or wiping it clean then reformatting.....

It's one thing to get a bad sector its another thing to have a harddrive that can't even spin up for more then 3 secs before failing.

19. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

My Maxtor crashed once, I used GetDataBack to recover most of the data, reformated it and have been using it problem free for over a year now.

20. jeffie7

jeffie7 Wrong Whole! VIP

So you're telling me your drive got cought up on a bad sector or something?

Once again when a drive crashes to the point where something breaks inside the harddrive you CANNOT do jack shit for it. My newest drive that is crashing is getting hung up on either a bad sector or something else becuase its fine for 5-10 mins then it goes into a clicking mode then locks the system up.

My old harddrive took a total shit. There was nothing I could do other then to pay someone tons of money to remove the disc and install them in a new working drive then pull the data off.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted