a big FU to sea gate

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jeffie7

Wrong Whole!
VIP
gallery_3_9_14999.jpg

My less then 1 year old 200gb seagate harddrive. I had it in my computer as a slave drive. I had my music backed up as with tons of programs and pictures.

gone.

Thankfully I didnt lose a lot of my music files, Im not 100% sure what I did lose. all I know is I lost 100% of my samples (used when making music) I have about $800 worth on CDs the rest were riped off the net wink wink.

either way. another one bites the dust, and in this case. the drive wasnt even 6 months old!

Its under warranty or I should say it was before I pulled it apart to look for anything obvious that was wrong. I was just hoping to get it working long enough to pull some data off it. ohwell. Chit happens.
I didnt want to do a warranty replacment on it becuase of data that was kept on that drive. from riped samples to random programs. I'd rather just buy a new one.

plus 90 bucks gets you a new 300GB drive with zero wait and no hassles.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
get a raid controller y0

Why? You just reduce your fault tolerance unless you double up and run RAID 1.

Fuck RAID 1. RAID 5 is where it's at my friend.

My bud and I are working on constructing a 1TB+ array and with that amount of data, RAID 5 is a must. Sure, you'll be buying an extra drive, but it's worth it for the redundancy.

Does he need 1TB of space. Well, seeing that his current 600GB array has a little less than 4 gigs left, I'd say he does.

Um...if you hadn't pulled that apart segate would have restored the data for you....

Quoted post[/post]]
Um...if you hadn't pulled that apart segate would have restored the data for you....

There's no guarantee, besides like I said in my post I didnt want them seeing any of the data on there =)~

Besides it's only 88 bucks for a new WD drive. (the one I went with) shiped.

It will get me back to work on music sooner then if I were to send it and waiting 2-3 weeks.

systems guys here at work freeze them to try and pull data off, i dont know if it really works though.

Quoted post[/post]]

No, I'm pretty sure they only repair the drive, they do not warrenty any content on the drives, no manufacturer does.

Oh and great price on a 2ooGB drive, but your going to end up saying FU to WD as well, I've had 2 drive within one week of each other die in a server. multiple 60-120Gb drive die in less than a year. WD has really lost it's edge. I've been using Maxtor for a while now. in fact I've got a 120GB maxtor drive that's been running for 5 years 24/7 and counting. and I can't complain.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

No, I'm pretty sure they only repair the drive, they do not warrenty any content on the drives, no manufacturer does.

Oh and great price on a 2ooGB drive, but your going to end up saying FU to WD as well, I've had 2 drive within one week of each other die in a server. multiple 60-120Gb drive die in less than a year. WD has really lost it's edge. I've been using Maxtor for a while now. in fact I've got a 120GB maxtor drive that's been running for 5 years 24/7 and counting. and I can't complain.

Any hard drive is bound to crash. but 6 months is kinda earily IMO.

I've had a handful of maxtors go up in flames. well not in flames but click click click... same for WD, and Seagate.

My current main drive is a WD and so far "knock on wood" its still going strong so I figured why not try them out again.

Quoted post[/post]]
gallery_3_9_14999.jpg

My less then 1 year old 200gb seagate harddrive. I had it in my computer as a slave drive. I had my music backed up as with tons of programs and pictures.

gone.

Thankfully I didnt lose a lot of my music files, Im not 100% sure what I did lose. all I know is I lost 100% of my samples (used when making music) I have about $800 worth on CDs the rest were riped off the net wink wink.

either way. another one bites the dust, and in this case. the drive wasnt even 6 months old!

Its under warranty or I should say it was before I pulled it apart to look for anything obvious that was wrong. I was just hoping to get it working long enough to pull some data off it. ohwell. Chit happens.
I didnt want to do a warranty replacment on it becuase of data that was kept on that drive. from riped samples to random programs. I'd rather just buy a new one.

plus 90 bucks gets you a new 300GB drive with zero wait and no hassles.

Most likely you got hacked buddy. Same thing happened to me about 6 months ago. I lost everything. It was a Western Digital 200GB, it was about 2 years old or so. I gave it to a buddy of mine after losing all my shit, and he's still running it just fine. I got hacked.

New drive just took a dump, not 100% so Im backing up the little bit of shit I have that isnt backed up yet....

Click Click... Click Click.

mofo!

Most likely you got hacked buddy. Same thing happened to me about 6 months ago. I lost everything. It was a Western Digital 200GB, it was about 2 years old or so. I gave it to a buddy of mine after losing all my shit, and he's still running it just fine. I got hacked.

I never did see this post.

So you're telling me that even when a drive fails you can still use it? I've never once heard about that before. last time I checked when something hardware wise breaks you cant use a software fix like reformatting or wiping it clean then reformatting.....

It's one thing to get a bad sector its another thing to have a harddrive that can't even spin up for more then 3 secs before failing.

Quoted post[/post]]
So you're telling me that even when a drive fails you can still use it? I've never once heard about that before. last time I checked when something hardware wise breaks you cant use a software fix like reformatting or wiping it clean then reformatting.....

It's one thing to get a bad sector its another thing to have a harddrive that can't even spin up for more then 3 secs before failing.
My Maxtor crashed once, I used GetDataBack to recover most of the data, reformated it and have been using it problem free for over a year now.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

My Maxtor crashed once, I used GetDataBack to recover most of the data, reformated it and have been using it problem free for over a year now.

So you're telling me your drive got cought up on a bad sector or something?

Once again when a drive crashes to the point where something breaks inside the harddrive you CANNOT do jack shit for it. My newest drive that is crashing is getting hung up on either a bad sector or something else becuase its fine for 5-10 mins then it goes into a clicking mode then locks the system up.

My old harddrive took a total shit. There was nothing I could do other then to pay someone tons of money to remove the disc and install them in a new working drive then pull the data off.

Back