A bit of oil on one of my spark plugs = :(

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mikeislord

Yeah, i just replaced my sparkies with some nice NGK Iridiums and I find that one of my spark plugs has some oil on it, so Im pissed. I know that this can be either a leaky headgasket, ring, seal, etc.. but what is the easiest way to determine the exact cause of the leak? I have never done internal engine work, only bolt-ons and ghetto-fabs so this would be a new adventure for me. I was thinking of just prettying the car up and selling it asap but I figured I would ask..:mad:

I had this happen on my old b16. I replaced the valve cover gasket, including the 4 little o ring gaskets for the spark plugs, and this fixed me. a cheap and easy fix!!!

If the oil was on top (the part of the plug that is outside of the head), its a bad valve cover gasket. you're looking at $25ish for the gasket set. Four bolts/10 minute job. If it was inside the head its anyone's guess. Valve seal/head gasket/rings.. hell, we could go nightmare scenario and even say cracked block or head.. So where on the plug was the oil? did it look fresh or was it crusty black buildup?

I have the same problem and my valve cover bolt seals are bad... I wouldn't be too worried about it unless it's on the very end of the plug.

People seem to freak out when they see oil on the threads. That's just the oil running down the spark plug when you removed it. You need the spark plug tube seals that come with most valve cover gaskets. Look down the tube and you will most likely see a slight (or worse) stream of oil running down. If it was an internal engine problem, the oil wouldn't stay around very long with the extremely high combustion temperatures. It would find it's way out the exhaust. One quick question to verify no leaking valve seals: Does it blue smoke on initial start up after sitting, say, overnight?

i'm having the same problem so i won't start another thread. i have oil on at least 1 of the plug wires. would this narrow it down to a valve cover gasket or should i replace the spark plug gaskets to? and are these in stock at shucks or autozone or do we have to go to the dealer.

you need a "valve cover gasket set". It comes with a new valve cover gasket along with the spark plug hole gaskets, and new rubber hardware for the bolts.

Being that it is a non-load gasket I wouldnt worry about going OEM honda. I've installed two sets from auto-zone and haven't had any trouble with either one. Get the "felpro" ones. They make nice gaskets. Now for timing belts and head gaskets, for sure hit up the dealer.

Hope that helps.

phyregod said:
you need a "valve cover gasket set". It comes with a new valve cover gasket along with the spark plug hole gaskets, and new rubber hardware for the bolts.

Being that it is a non-load gasket I wouldnt worry about going OEM honda. I've installed two sets from auto-zone and haven't had any trouble with either one. Get the "felpro" ones. They make nice gaskets. Now for timing belts and head gaskets, for sure hit up the dealer.

Hope that helps.

cool thanks, looks like i'm doing gaskets this weekend. the little eg runs like shit right now. hoping this fixes it.

If it runs bad and this oil had anything to do with it, it may be because the wires are ruined. I have always been told that plug wires need replaceing if ever saturated with oil.

happened to me awhile back, it was a bad valve seal. The oil was in the threads. not on the prong,obviuosly cuz it burned it off.

So how did the oil defy gravity and work itself upwards and through threads? Did you figure this out and fix yourself or did a shop tell you this?

GSRCIVICTN said:
So how did the oil defy gravity and work itself upwards and through threads? Did you figure this out and fix yourself or did a shop tell you this?

sorry bad valve cover seal. the little rings were worn out. my bad

Taco15 said:
happened to me awhile back, it was a bad valve cover seal. The oil was in the threads. not on the prong,obviuosly cuz it burned it off.

fixed

Back