1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/C Compressor surge

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by RiceBurner98SC, Jul 10, 2003.

1. RiceBurner98SC

RiceBurner98SC Member

For some reason my a/c compressor surges in what almost seems like cycles. It'll stay on for a minute then shut off, then back on, off, so forth. Does anyone know the cause of this or what could cause this?

2. awptickes

awptickes unimpressed by you VIP

Just to piss people off I'm going to respond to this.

Yes, the same thing happens to me. My interval is anywhere between 3 minutes, and 2 seconds. It's either the temperature sensor located on the compressor, or it's the condenser saying "Whoah, too cold." and killing the compressor.

This is normal behavior. If you disable this, you will have lots of ice.

3. BrokenRex

BrokenRex New Member

have you recharged it recently. there's multiple sensors in the A/C system, any of those can cause the clutch to disengage. if you charged it recently, you may have overcharged the system, causing the system to build pressure for a few seconds, then kick off and let pressure bleed from the high to low side, then kick back on, etc. if it's running for minutes at a time, it's likely just what awptickes said.

is it blowing cold? how long does it stay engaged for? is the belt that runs the compressor in good condition?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted