A/c Compressor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

zueke

So I've had this funy squeek in my engine bay for the longest time, and I have always thought it was coming from the A/C compressor. To prove a point, I cut off the belt to the A/C compressor and the noise stopped. Playing with the wheel I found that while it DOES turn freely, it squeeks in like 3 places, making me think the wheel could just use machining. (All the same places every rotation, so not bearings) I want to take it apart to look at it and see what needs to be done even if it is replacement.

How do I decompress the A/C system safely both to myself and the environment? My system is R134a, so it isn't the killer Freon. Has anyone done this and could prove insight? The engine this is from is the D16z6 in my Del Sol.

Thanks for any and all help. Oh, and NO I am not getting rid of the A/C. I take pictures at ice rinks on the weekends so I must dress warm... during the summer. So I needs that A/C!

is it for sure the wheel because sometimes they squeak when the belt is too loose or too tight or sometimes putting belt dressing on wll stop the squeeking when i removed my a/c same car and engine r134a i did this removing the a/c however s i dont know if the stuff can be saved or not if you do it a different way of safely for environment mine was mostly leaked out from hitting a curb but a little came out when we removed it so i got away from it i have a perfectly good a/c compressor i you want to buy one make an offer through email or something i removed mine since i dont need it

Well I'll get back on ya about that compressor, since I'd like to look at mine first. The wheel itself makes the noise, not the belt coming into contact with the wheel. On a similar note, it squeeks even when it isn't connected by a belt to the rest of the engine.

Anyone else have recommendations as to how to discharge the system without breaking anything or killing myself?

Back