A/C: Power before and after, anyone done it?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

confusatron

I was thinking of chopping off my A/C. I don't use it in the summer, I don't mind the heat. I was wondering if anyone knows of exactly how much horsepower, or alternatively, difference in how fast your revs climb after removing it. Kinda vague I know, but I imagine it will reduce drag a little bit and help with acceleration, whether or not there is a horsepower difference. I would use my GTECH Pro, but it requires a flat road, and the only road that it's safe to do a quarter mile run on around here is not perfectly level. Shit I dunno maybe it'll work anyway. Any thoughts?

Where do you live, and you say you dont use it at all?
After hacking mine off, i would of liked to have it, but IF you take it off, UNBOLT it dont cut it incase you want to put it back on.

Quoted post[/post]]
Where do you live, and you say you dont use it at all?
After hacking mine off, i would of liked to have it, but IF you take it off, UNBOLT it dont cut it incase you want to put it back on.

I live in Chicago, the summers can get into the 90's and low 100's in July and August, but for some reason I've just gotten used to it. I think because for a couple years I was working in an environment where it was consistently that hot all the time. I got used to it, and stopped minding it after a while. So in the summer I just roll the windows down. I was planning to unbolt the compressor, chopping was just a figure of speech.

Haha, good, It wouldnt really have you gain much power, the biggest gain would be the weight reduction, but I wouldnt really worry about it too much.
I know what you mean about "getting used to the warm weather" as I work outside and survey shit all day, 2 days a week now since I am going to school, but summertime, it was 5 days a week.

its been proven on a dyno, that if you take out your A/C and power steering you will gain 5-6 hp at the wheels.

Want to know EXACTLY how it feels?

Remove the AC belt and passenger seat.

Drive.

There will be no drag on the engine from the AC, and the weight of the passenger seat is about what you will save after you yank out all of the ac parts (somewhere around 40ish pounds)

:wink:

Import tuner or Super Street or some other import rag did a dyno on a honda.. It was 5HP gain/loss at the wheels.

Quoted post[/post]]
Want to know EXACTLY how it feels?

Remove the AC belt and passenger seat.

Drive.

There will be no drag on the engine from the AC, and the weight of the passenger seat is about what you will save after you yank out all of the ac parts (somewhere around 40ish pounds)

:wink:

Import tuner or Super Street or some other import rag did a dyno on a honda.. It was 5HP gain/loss at the wheels.

Thanks dude, that's exactly what I was looking for. I've always heard around 5 hp from the reduced drag. Nice. I'll probably do that today.

Back