A+ Certification

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

allmotord16rex

I know a lot of people here are in the IT industry. I'm in the IT field also and next month I'm scheduled to take the hardware component of the A+ certification. Have any of you guys ever taken? If so, how hard was it and what suggestions do you have about studying for it? Peace.

A+ is fuckin CAKE. WALKED through the class. All I could really suggest is maybe memorizing i/o ports and irqs?

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Nov 22 2004, 10:41 PM
A+ is fuckin CAKE. WALKED through the class. All I could really suggest is maybe memorizing i/o ports and irqs?
[post=420785]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah I'm in a class right now and it is pretty easy. I have pretty much memorized all of the IRQs. I think you only have to get like 430 out of 900 points to pass. Is that correct?

if you just know shit about computers, you will fail.

what you need to know is stupid shit.... how mayny pins does X port have, how many wires on ide cables, shit like that, and a lot of it is troubleshooting, and comparing win98 vs nt/2k. also, minor networking stuff.
check out cert21.com and freepractice.com for some sample test/practice exams
i took it before xp was really out, so im not sure whats been changed to the test.

but i pased by almost double the required on the hardware side and by like 180% on the software/os side

taking the hardware half next week, just passed the Net+

you need to know slot and socket numbers for processors and which ones fit in what. two friends just took the test in my class and passed. they said that's very important. also dma channels, i/o addresses, and irq's. but mainly it's trouble shooting. know bootup order, the dos components and how it starts up, also scsi speeds, pin counts, and lengths of cable.

I took a+ about 6 years ago... I walked in to take the test hungover, without any studying, and walked out missing 2 questions. And I debated one of them with the testing place because it was incorrectly worded. :)

Originally posted by allmotord16rex+Nov 22 2004, 10:49 PM-->
Battle Pope
@Nov 22 2004, 10:41 PM

Yeah I'm in a class right now and it is pretty easy. I have pretty much memorized all of the IRQs. I think you only have to get like 430 out of 900 points to pass. Is that correct?
[post=420792]Quoted post[/post]​

Two questions to keep ya on your toes :)

1. What's IRQ 13 for?

2. Why does IRQ 2 cascade to 9?

Originally posted by Sabz5150+Nov 23 2004, 11:33 AM-->
Originally posted by allmotord16rex@Nov 22 2004, 10:49 PM
Battle Pope

1. What's IRQ 13 for?

[post=421004]Quoted post[/post]​

1. IRQ 13 is for the math coprocessor.

2. IRQ 2 cascades to 9 because IRQ 2 is tied to 8-15 and IRQ 9 substitutes for IRQ 2.

Would these questions be common questions. What are the more common IRQ questions that appear?

Originally posted by allmotord16rex+Nov 23 2004, 12:47 PM-->
Originally posted by Sabz5150@Nov 23 2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by allmotord16rex@Nov 22 2004, 10:49 PM
Battle Pope

1. What's IRQ 13 for?

[post=421004]Quoted post[/post]​

1. IRQ 13 is for the math coprocessor.

2. IRQ 2 cascades to 9 because IRQ 2 is tied to 8-15 and IRQ 9 substitutes for IRQ 2.

Would these questions be common questions. What are the more common IRQ questions that appear?
[post=421048]Quoted post[/post]​

The first one will be on there. The second one may not.

The cascade is a rube goldberg style trick that IBM used to add extra IRQs which they badly needed.

Looks like you're on the ball, you'll pass the A+ without problems.

They will ask you what the IRQs are for common devices and their addresses. Things like which IRQ would LPT2 normally reside. Do you know how many pins are on an IDE cable? A floppy cable? Do you know the addresses and IRQs for all four COM ports and your LPT port(s)?

yeah you'll need to know things like 3f8/irq3, stupid shit... and alot of shit that isnt even used anymore... lol

3f8, 3e8, 2f8, 2e8
com 1 & 3 are irq 4, come 2& 4 are irq3. cake.

Back