a couple of questions about the b18

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

thecarguy82

So i'm in the process of saving up so I can swap a b18b into my 96 ex. Ive been doing some research and looking everywhere and see a lot of good deals. I noticed it would be cheaper to piece an engine together block and head seperately compared to complete change over. My main concern is will all the b18 blocks work, or do I have to go with just a b18b obd2 block. This is my first honda swap and its on my only car. So i'm going to be without a car for a couple of days and I want this to go as smoothly as possible. I know this swap has been done hundreds of times, but if anyone could help me out and give me a heads up as to any other potential problems i might run into along that would really help.

ok this is your first swap and u picked a pretty good straight forward one. I like the OBD2 b18b because there a little newer and could be less abused by 16 yr old teens. also it is obd2 like your car.

I would make sure you have all your ducks in a row befor you remove a bolt, like....
Make sure you have all mounts and brackets
Axles, linkage ecu and wiring ready to go.

whats your plan for this thing. B18b motors dont really have that much more power than d16z6 motor. if you havent bought anything i would save a little more and get a gsr motor. or save money and get the d16z6 and boost it.

I guess i could go on and on about swaps but what is your goal. that should determine your swap. Drag, auto x, show car. all these people are trying to build cars with NO GOAL. How will you finish if you dont know when to end. (ive said this a million times)

Figure out what you want to do with the car then pic a motor that will put you where u want to be with minimal effort and money

My goal is to have a civic that i can get onto the freeway without having to worry about getting run over by semi's, without spending 2500 on a gsr engine. I'm not looking to race it, i'm just tired of the lack of torque in the sohc.

if I were to get a b18a block would i have any problem as far as wiring harness hooking up to it since it's a obd1 block?? I also live in cali and have strict smog so I need it to be same year or newer so I won't have any problem with smog. Im planning on getting the engine, trans, axles, ecu, linkage, harness, etc.piece by piece, and pulling the motor in one day and dropping the new one in same night. I just don't want any wiring issues as far as harness or connectors are concerned. I'm just really really picky about the details, and an obsessive perfectionist.

Back