a cure to pop-ups

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tylonalsnifnfool

lately my computer has been taken over by pop-ups. I mean everytime i click my mouse i get about 2-3 of em. anyone know a got blocker to download? I need a cure.

youre probably dealing with spyware issues. Best bet would be to download a program like adaware or something similar to deal with the problem directly. Aside from that i've found that the Google bar, in addition to making searching more convienent, does a good job of stopping popups.

I haven't had a single problem with popups, spyware, or viruses since I switched to Mozilla a year or so ago. Literally. Zero. And with the Adblock plugin I don't even see banner or flash ads of any kind on any site I visit.

Here's a comparison I made last time this came up:

Cardomain.com before:
Before.jpg

After Adblock:
After.jpg

Yet another reason to switch. :D

People don't realize how far browser technology has come in the last few years. Yet IE hasn't changed at all.

instead of the normal what you shouldn't do you normally will get from here.. here's what you can do.

get ad aware from download.com (it's free) make sure you update it first. Run that. Then go to http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html and download spy bot.. make sure it's updated and run that.

then go to google and search for "hi jack this" it's an exe file but no worries.. run that and cross reference what results you get with stuff online so you can be sure your deleting malware and not essisital programs.

after you do that.. check yoru security settings, privacey and cookies. Then think about a firewall or a router.

Originally posted by mdlax1@Nov 8 2004, 09:23 AM
after you do that.. check yoru security settings, privacey and cookies. Then think about a firewall or a router.

THEN get Mozilla. :D

Originally posted by FearDaGreenCivic@Nov 8 2004, 06:32 PM
After.jpg

why does your mozilla look like this?
[post=413923]Quoted post[/post]​

Whatddya mean? The theme? Go to View > Apply Theme > Modern. It's the one theme that comes with Mozilla. There are a bajillion more.

Originally posted by civicious@Nov 8 2004, 07:16 PM
mozilla is a straight ripoff of netscape.

but it's a fuck of a lot better than IE.
[post=413917]Quoted post[/post]​

version 1.2 of mozilla was based highly off of netscape's code base.
however, now, on version 1.8, and a whole new spawn known as firefox, the rendering engine, while once based off the netscape code, has been re-written so many times that its hard to even call it a netscape child.

when I go to click File>new window, Mozilla says 'open new Navigator window'

:D

IMO Adaware sucks. right after using adaware, I downloaded Spybot search and destroy. I ran that and it picked like 17 more things. adaware was then uninstalled.
even better spybot search and destroy is completly free, and has spyware blocking build in, unlike adaware where you have to pay for it. just my $0.02.

Back