A/F gauge question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
So I got one at a retarded price, installed it, and now have a pretty light bouncing around next to the VAFC.

Well, at idle, I can get it to hang out in the stoich zone by adding some fuel via the VAFC, but if I run it flat it is all the way lean. Now I now these are really just voltameters dedicated to the o2, but how accurate is it? Should I make any adjustments based on it, or should I just wait till my wideband gets here?

WooooWOooOoooooooooOOooo...

s408e3a40b23a6.jpg

It's like Mo' Fo' Las Vegas up n hurr!!!

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Apr 26 2004, 05:18 PM
the only time the non-wideband reading is semi accurate is at wide open throttle.

Problem with that though, is that at wideopen throttle the ECU is running premade fuel maps, that are rich for power :( So it is just stuck on the rich side.

well, don't go by it. its really a BS reading without the wideband...

:werd:

my a/f gauge sits on full rich when i idle, then goes apeshit when im on the gas.

i dont think its actually telling me anything, but the lights look cool.

edit: oh yeah, my point. as far as a/f gauge accuracy, you'd be just as accurate thumbtacking a Timex to your dash and writing 'a/f ratio' on it with a sharpie. i'd go with the 'wait for the wideband' option.

Originally posted by Eskie@Apr 27 2004, 04:56 AM
wait.. whats a wideband ?

The o2 senson in your car reads the exhaust for how much fuel is left, and sends a signal to your ECU to tell it, "hey, give the motor some more gas", or "cut it back". Problem is they only can detect a general ballpark amount, a wide band can detect an exact ratio. This is why you want it for tuning, you're essentially tricking you ECU into thinking it is in narrowband (normal o2), but you are reading wideband, so the ECU doesn't change fuel, and you can do it manually through a engine management of some kind.

Back