1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a few suspension install ?'s

Discussion in 'Wheels / Suspension / Tires / Brakes' started by seanjuan, Apr 20, 2004.

1. seanjuan

seanjuan Senior Member

this weekend I'll be installing my new shocks and springs
    tokico illuminas with pro-kits

the illuminas came with rear bump stops but not with fronts which means that I will have to reuse the stock front bumpstops, I allready cut them from 3" down to 2" based on the prokits droping the car about an inch.... should that be good enough or should I cut them down more? or did I cut too much and should I get a new set and start over?

the other question I have is about torquing down the suspension bolts. I have a cheap torque wrench and figue it would be a good idea to use it to get the suspension bolted down correctly, or is that even necessary?
    I'm just wondering if it's worth picking up a chiltons or something to get torque on those bolts correct or if it's good enough to just "estimate" the required torque

also, if anyone knows of a site or a post that has some torque settings for different suspension pieces that might be handy

thanks
    Sean

2. asmallsol

asmallsol Super Moderator

All of the rear Lower LCA bolts are 40ftlbs, except for the sway bar which is like 28ftlbls.

For the front lower bolt, 45ish ftlbs, and 30ish for the middle bolt (shock to shock fork bolt)

On all mine, I just tightened them all real good.

As for your front bumpstops, I have never had to deal with that since my teins already had bump stops (on both back and front) however, my front bumpstops on my teins were only an inch tall. Find out what they call for. It depends on the amount of suspension travel the manufactor of the shock calls for.

3. seanjuan

seanjuan Senior Member

thanks for the pointers

how about the top mount bolts?
    like for the top hats and upper A arms

does anyone else that has Illuminas have a recomendation on bumpstop height?

I went with a two inch tall bumpstop since the stock was 3 and the springs drop me about an inch.... seemed to make sense but some realworld experience would be great.

thanks again
    Sean

4. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Cutting one inch for a one inch lowering is fine. Consider this:

The shocks mount farther inboard on your control arms than your wheel hub, so the wheel will move more up and down than the shock travels. If your wheel goes up 2 inches, your shock might compress say, 1.5 inches. It depends on your suspension geometry. Measure the distances and draw a few arcs- then translate to vertical motion- you'll see what I mean.

Your new springs should also be stiffer- so you'll compress less for the same load. That helps too. I wouldn't cut your bumps any more than you already have, unless you really plan on wailing on the suspension in the curves. My general rule is to just cut the suckers on half.

5. cycloneb18c3

cycloneb18c3 Senior Member

i dropped mine with tein s techs, and the instructions said to cut only 1/3rd off rear and nothing in the front(leave stock). thats for a 2inch drop(91 teg), and I havent had any problems with them.

6. seanjuan

seanjuan Senior Member

thanks for the reply cyclone and thank you calesta for going into some depth on the answer
    I really enjoy the fact that there are people on this forum who are well educated and know how to apply that towards their hobbies and real world situations

now I just can't wait for friday so I can actually install this stuff

7. phunky.buddha

Educated? Me? I just put on a blindfold and throw stuff together. Every now and then it works.

:lmao:

You're welcome. Good luck on your install!

8. seanjuan

seanjuan Senior Member

that's the same thing I do when I actually get out there with my hands, and it usually works.... usually

I just find it rare when you can find someone who can apply knowledge to physical labor. usually it's a booksmart person who can't hold a wrench or a gear head who thank think pi is only baked in the oven

at any rate.... it better not rain this weekend or I'll be pissed
    thanks for the help

9. phunky.buddha

Well, engineers that are gearheads (like me) tend to always want to know how everything works- and we analyze everything to be sure we understand it 100%. At least I do, anyway. Every time I see a mechanical system, I have to completely understand how all the pieces interact with each other, how they affect each other, and what I can do to improve it. If you apply a mindset like that (plus an engineering education) to all the wrenchwork you do on cars, you'll learn quite a bit.

:)

10. asmallsol

asmallsol Super Moderator

lol. I do that sometimes. You get to something, you think it is going to work, then nope, well, lets tear it apart more.

11. seanjuan

seanjuan Senior Member

what field of engineering are you in and what degree/s do you have?

I got shoe horned into the building systems engineering (hvac, plumbing, etc.)
    I got my BS at the University of MN, so I fully understand the fundemental need for understanding the system you are working on. I end up spending hours more than I should have spent on projects purely because I will sit and stare and fidget with things until I understand how and why they do what they do.
    sometimes I wish I could just turn that off and get shit done.... but that never seems to happen

12. phunky.buddha

:lmao:

You're just like me then. If I just didn't spend all that time learning about how everything works, I would get a lot more done.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I got my BS in Mechanical Engineering from UT Austin a few years back, and I'm currently working on getting in to grad school so I can pursue my master's in ME in Mech Systems and Thermodynamics.

13. seanjuan

seanjuan Senior Member

I would like to get a masters, but I just don't know what I would get it in... I'm affraid that I would end up becoming too specialized and make it even harder on myself to find work. although right now by working at an Arch firm I'm pretty much specializing myself anyway.... but at least I'm getting paid for it

good luck on getting into grad school

btw. the suspension is going in tomorrow after work. I'll keep a running tally on how long it takes me

14. phunky.buddha

Thanks! :thumbsup:

With a master's, you're not really TOO specialized... that's what happens when you get your PhD. You're overqualified and people don't want to pay you, then you're only good for a certain portion of the market.

Let me know how the suspension install goes. Good luck!

15. seanjuan

seanjuan Senior Member

well, the fronts went great. I got them done on friday night without to big of a headache.... with the exception of the bolts I used on my ITR upper strut bar, bitches didn't want to come off

anyway, went to do the rears on saturday and was looking forward to getting it done when I was unable to get the bolts to break loose.
    I don't have air tools so it was all hand power but I can't break the damn things so now my car looks like a neon with the front lowered and inch and the back sticking it's ass up in the air

anyway, I think I'll try them again today and then monday I'm going to take it over to my mechanic and have him give it a shot
    I'm worried that the bolts are seized in the bushings and that I'm going to need new bushings

I was planning on getting new lca's (if you know where I can get some teg lca's I'd repay you with my life.... not really but I want some bad) I just didn't want to have to do it Right now.

anyway
    back to the garage

Sean

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted