A little trouble with my B18A CRX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

beewanna

Okies, lemme see here i'm a novice (at best) when it comes to car repairs and maintenance... so lets see if we all can help out! YEA!!

I have a 1990 CRX with a B18A swap, and everything works AWESOME!! well, until I park it and then try to restart the engine. It will turn with the starter, fuel pump is audible along with its associated relay... now the engine will start when cold, but once at operating temperature it will not start at all. I have asked a few peoples and one said it could be the EGR valve being stuck, i have also googled and what not and found that it may be the temperature sensor.... now i am just confused and my friends say it could be a number of things that could be wrong... just trying to figure this crap out! Please help... and if I need to give amplifying information, lemme know... Thanks all!

i haven't checked for spark yet, will be performing that test as soon as I can...Just got home from work, i will update whenever i check it out, thanx for replies so far

alrighty.... just returned from a good little run with the rex... Now it stalled twice at a stop sign, the first time, prolly something i did, but upon attempted restart - nothing. I tried again, it started up, so i tried to give it some throttle with clutch disengaged ( rpms were sluggish) but even with the accelerator floored I got nothing. Not wanting to get stuck at this random stop sign, i tried again and it sluggishly started, and during the floored portion something clicked and next thing I know i'm at like 5000 rpms... bleh, anywho, i get it moving again and drive all the way back home without a problem ( about 5 miles)
Now, i parked the car and let it sit for a minute and then killed it. Tried for restart, wouldn't actually start, it will still turn from starter and whatnot... I then searched around for my sparkplug wrench and whatever to check if I had spark about 10-15 minutes, and my car has spark, after the check, car started fine, when i moved it into garage killed car, tried to instantly restart, would start....
Hope anyone has some sort of clue about this... thanks in advance again!

how long has it been sense the fuel filter has been changed? sometimes they will cause this, because when running it sucks the dirt agenst the screen, plugging it up, and so forth

i am not sure when the last time fuel filter was changed, but i am going to be doing that along with a rear disk brake conversion this weekend... Also, i brought this up to another good friend of mine and he seems to wholeheartedly believe that the cause is a stuck EGR... any hints on that?? I wonder how hard that is to change..

probably a stupid question, but are you sure your intake mani even has the egr shenanigans attached to it?

Okies... Just replaced the fuel filter, and had wife try to start car ( under my instruction) the car was turning over, just not starting... I had a few gas leaks, guess i didn't tighten down enough, then she tried to start it again and blam!! no starter action!:mad:

Well i guess now my question is... (obviously i don't have the haynes or chilton manual) where is the starter located?? is this a hard part to replace... i hear it is rather expensive....

okay... i just went out there... was sniffing around... didn't find anything, so I tried to start her up... key in start, nothing...nothing... then it starts to turn just as i'm stopping the whole trying... then i try again, and after a second of startering... it starts... WTF!!:eek:

any new ideas?? seems like mah starter is bein a bitch....

it could be your starter solenoid or it could be the ignition switch. when the car is having one of its fits and refusing to start have someone check the trigger wire at the starter to see if its getting +12v while the key is in the crank position. if you see power there and the starter isn't moving then you know the solenoid is bad. if you don't see power at that wire, even though the key is in the crank position, then the ignition switch is where your problem lies.

here's a page you can use to test the ignition switch if you like

http://mycomputerninja.com/~jon/IgnitionSwitch.html

so, when the rex is cold, it will be a slight delay between the time I place ignition switch in start before starter will actually engage, when it does, car will start and everything is peachy. now when it is hot, starter will turn engine but i am not starting the engine... dangit!! is a real shame too... really want to drive my rex everywhere and get rid of my integra... but dammit!!! i must figure this out

Back