a;lskdfj;aslkdfj

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Tonyd0821

Banned
not sure what forum to put this in.....technically its a swap....but same stock engine to stock engine....not even sure what to name it.....

anyways, i finally got the turbo off my motor, and sent the car on its way via tow truck to the engine place where they are going to drop a stock jdm (ya i know) d16y8 back into the engine bay....i know im wasting money in the sense that in a few months im going to be ripping the y8 out and dropping in a gsr, but i need a car YESTERDAY so this is the only option to get me going.

anyways, while i was at the shop, they were trying to sell me a new water pump and hoses and what not.....

the engines they got are NOT rebuilds, just used jdm and usdm d16y8's.

should i spring for a water pump? and anything else. i originally told them no, because it just sounds like they are out to try and fuck me....

so i told them to get the engine in there and running for the price quoted. no more.

plus they are giving me an automatic 12 month/12,000 mile warranty on the engine.

:cliffs:

yes or no to new water pump on used y8 engine being swapped back into my ek coupe?

why would they ask me if i wanted a new WATER PUMP....but not a new clutch...
something sounds fishy....or am i just being overly suspicious?

Fuck it. Get them to put the warranty in writing. If the water pump goes, you can put a new one in yourself. Doesn't take that long.
No to the water pump.
Yes to the clutch! I guess they thought you were some ricer coming in there.
What the hell!?!?! JDM Y8??? Yeah...anyway...Why would they offer you a water pump and not a clutch???
Does sound kinda suspicious... <_<

They tried to sell you a new water pump, but not a new timing belt? Isn't that the classic combo? So it'll be a used engine they'll be dropping in, but don't they at least know the mileage on the car that they pulled it from?

maybe the timing belt/s looked ok. the water pump on the other hand, theres no telling if/when it will go.

and this really should be in general tech...but im not moving it. i want to strike like the grocery workers making $20 an hour and whining cause they won't get FULL MEDICAL coverage benefits anymore. booo fucking hoooo!!

i would say have them change the water pump and timing belt before they install the motor. and have the parts swapped at no extra charge. then put your turbo back on it. and if it blows again, take your turbo off and say the motor was fucked.

thanks for the advice guys.

but im through with the "d" series motor as a platform for performance.

i wanted to try the whole turbo scene, but was not sure if i was going to like it or not. so this is why i boosted my "d" series motor with the greddy kit. and i can honestly say, i love being boosted. (loved)

if i can almost beat a brand new 300zx on a dinky greddy turbo on the y8 motor...that is saying SOMETHING about forced induction.

unfortunately, i need my car for work. i have no other car, so that is why im paying someone to drop in a y8 as fast as possible to get me on the road.

im going gsr/turbo (swap first, then sourcing turbo and installing later)

i figure with a gsr on a ek coupe, with a t3 @ 7psi...i should be high 13's right out of the box....?

of course, im doing the boost the right way next time with hondata and the works. i learned my lesson about "scrimping and saving" on forced induction. either you pay the required amount to do it, or you dont do it at all.

:)

im doing the boost the right way next time with hondata and the works. i learned my lesson about "scrimping and saving" on forced induction. either you pay the required amount to do it, or you dont do it at all.

:werd:

and im deciding against buying the water pump.

whoever said it was right, they probably thought i was some ricer coming in there....but when i started asking questions about the swap, the specifics of a jdm y8 motor (never heard of a jdm d16y8 before....) and the fact that i wanted to speak personally to the mechanic in charge of the swap......they changed their attitudes REAL quick.

on monday, im going down and speaking to the mechanic in charge for two reasons.

1. to let him in a roundabout way know that i know exactly what is up, and he should not try and fuck me.

2. i want to run a compression test on the used motor they are going to swap in.

did you correct them when they said "jdm d16y8"? i would of been a bit sketchy about that..you should check the motor out for sure before they swap it in..

I always thought buying a jdm motor, you should always, change the belt, water pump, and clutch.

Its not really much, well the clutch is, but I got a full tune up with belt, and pump for under 100 bucks on my buddies d16a6 from the dealership so it shouldn't be too much to add.

Yeahh yeah, take into account you're swapping it out soon, but if it goes after you get it, you ahve to take it back, and its a big hassle. We had this hassle with our MPV van when we got the motor rebuilt at a performance shop(good people) and the main seal went out because the fool put it in backwards and we had to wait another week without transportation.

Originally posted by JDMPlaya@Oct 18 2003, 11:29 PM
did you correct them when they said "jdm d16y8"? i would of been a bit sketchy about that..you should check the motor out for sure before they swap it in..

its K. Watanabe guys....

took it to their service center today....

ya, it didnt sound right .....JDM D16Y8....that cant be right?

i thought he meant the sohc ZC ?

but no, he said it was a D16Y8 from Japan...

new one to me..

i thought the japanese people had more taste than to buy a crappy ass motor like the y8 (if honda did indeed bring out the y8 in japan)

pissedoffsol: you knwo anything about K Watanabe
SFguy329: oh ya
SFguy329: and nippon
SFguy329: there are good motors and dirty motors they sell
pissedoffsol: what about their work?
SFguy329: what work?
pissedoffsol: like, doing a swap- labor
SFguy329: hmm that i can't tell u
SFguy329: cuz i'm not from that area
pissedoffsol: ok

take that how you want man.... GET PAPERS

also, about the water pump/belt, id say let them do it.... but get the price for it in writing!!!! don't pay 400 bucks for it

Back