A Marine Comes Home

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sad story... its really weird how things go.

50 years ago, in ww2 times, 50% of men aged 17-23 were serving in some branch of the armed forces. it was like college is today- the thing to do after high school.

im a war nut i guess you can say... i dunno. i own just about every war film ever made... and i'm kinda infatuated with the whole concept..... the concept of beleiving in something so much that you're willing to put your life on the line for it. me, i could never do it. i'm too much of a pussy.

so, to all the non-pussy men and women who keep my ass safe, i solute you.

one question:
It also said that the family would be accepting donations so that they could buy flak vests to send to troops in Iraq.

what's a flak vest?

My fav. war movie

The Boys in Company C
Full Metal Jacket

both Marine movies that show boot camp... The Boys In Company C's boot camp is alittle more realistic. And they both have the same guy in them. I dont/cant remember his name.

A flak vest is a type of body armor.....

It was first used in the high altitude bombers as a little protection from the flak guns the enemy used to shot at the planes with...

Flak is an eploding shell, that shrapnells and brakes apart, and anything next to it will get riddled with a lot of hot metal...

the vest became popular for other personel, like on the ground, it would stop most of the shrapnel from doing upper body torsal damage...

Later versions installed heavier metal plates, but now days Kevlar plates are used to keep the weight down....

Yea, some units over there had the vest, but not the plates, those are about $600, and family members were buying them and sending them to their soldiers because the Army was so ill prepared.

I remember I was going to join the AF way before the war was taking place, then decided it wasn't for me. I am not big on always travelling and moving, I did it all the time when I was a kid, hard to make friends, when you finally do, it sucks to lose them. I support everyone that fights over their with all my heart, I give them all the credit in the world for volunteering(SP?) their life to fight for us. I know that if I was ever called to do it I would in a heartbeat, but I couldn't volunteer myself.

Back