A pair questions for Math/CS buffs

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Heh reminds me of an argument I had with a kid freshman year of High school:

Me: Yeah, it just takes that number and runs it through that algorithm
Nick: Logarithm!
Me: Algorithm!
Me: Algorithm!!
Me: My god we sounds like the biggest nerds on the planet
Nick: Holy crap, we should shut up now

You had to be there.. it was hilarious :)

I'd probably know what all of you were talking about if I made it past ninth grade, but I didn't so it's about time for that adult learning class.

Originally posted by Tonyd0821+Nov 13 2003, 12:49 PM-->
Originally posted by lsvtec@Nov 13 2003, 01:34 PM
liquid00meth
@Nov 13 2003, 12:13 PM
I just did a BST class assignment. Our creation method is still n lg n I think though.

n lg n is the best you can do when creating a BST from an unsorted array. This is because Insertion is n lg n. The only way to make building faster is to sort your input and write a build method that takes advantage of that.

so what can you do with all that shit you just did?

whats the real life application?
:blink:

It gives me this peice of paper that triples me potential starting salary. :)

And yeah, what B16 said. (Balanced) Binary search trees are faster to search than even a sorted array and they are also faster to update. One could question the real life application of an English degree if one was so inclined ... :ph34r:

Originally posted by lsvtec@Nov 13 2003, 11:47 AM

amen brother! now i just need to finish this damn degree, only 2 semesters left! woot!

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Nov 13 2003, 02:12 PM
haha. I just need to not fail out. Im 2nd year Computer Engineering and things aren't going so well <_<

hang in there man, things get a whole lot easier. I am told that your last year is the easiest (I hope these people aren't lying :) ).

Originally posted by lsvtec+Nov 13 2003, 02:47 PM-->
Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Nov 13 2003, 12:49 PM
liquid00meth
I just did a BST class assignment.  Our creation method is still n lg n I think though.

n lg n is the best you can do when creating a BST from an unsorted array. This is because Insertion is n lg n. The only way to make building faster is to sort your input and write a build method that takes advantage of that.

And yeah, what B16 said. (Balanced) Binary search trees are faster to search than even a sorted array and they are also faster to update. One could question the real life application of an English degree if one was so inclined ... :ph34r:

easy there cowboy, wasn't calling the importance of what you do into question. Just asking what the hell it means, and what it could be used for in real life.

Ill have you know the day after I graduated, I walked straight into the English Factory, handed them my degree and was hired on the spot :D

Originally posted by Tonyd0821+Nov 13 2003, 03:02 PM-->
Originally posted by lsvtec@Nov 13 2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Nov 13 2003, 12:49 PM
liquid00meth
I just did a BST class assignment.  Our creation method is still n lg n I think though.

easy there cowboy, wasn't calling the importance of what you do into question. Just asking what the hell it means, and what it could be used for in real life.

Ill have you know the day after I graduated, I walked straight into the English Factory, handed them my degree and was hired on the spot :D

:lol:

Real life application of that specific code = 0;
Real life application of that code's derviative data structures = lots;

The Ternary Search tree as mentioned earlier.

Originally posted by lsvtec+Nov 13 2003, 12:29 PM-->
liquid00meth
@Nov 13 2003, 02:12 PM
haha. I just need to not fail out. Im 2nd year Computer Engineering and things aren't going so well <_<

hang in there man, things get a whole lot easier. I am told that your last year is the easiest (I hope these people aren't lying :) ).

it does, i'm in that strech now. just started senior project this semester (oh my god this is time consuming, have fun! lol). the thing that makes it easier is the professors know that everyone in those upper division classes are about to graduate, so they are much more leniant.

Originally posted by B16+Nov 13 2003, 06:07 PM-->
Originally posted by lsvtec@Nov 13 2003, 12:29 PM
liquid00meth
haha. I just need to not fail out.  Im 2nd year Computer Engineering and things aren't going so well  <_<

it does, i'm in that strech now. just started senior project this semester (oh my god this is time consuming, have fun! lol). the thing that makes it easier is the professors know that everyone in those upper division classes are about to graduate, so they are much more leniant.

haha yea, I'm just about to enter the asswhupin that is end of soph/junior year.

Originally posted by lsvtec+Nov 13 2003, 03:29 PM-->
liquid00meth

liquidmeth, where do you attend school? The first two years are actually the easiest. IMO I'm a third year Mechanical engineering major and this year has been somewhat tougher compared to the first two. I had to take all the basics (Cal. based physics, Cal. A B C, DE, Linear, english, etc...)

I think they were lying to you bro. Everyone i know says that the last two years were a lot more difficult than the first two.

my progam isn't quite structured like that. My fresh year was obviously easier, but the combination of CS/CE classes just makes things harder than they should be.

Originally posted by dcsports413+Nov 14 2003, 09:46 AM-->
Originally posted by lsvtec@Nov 13 2003, 03:29 PM
liquid00meth

liquidmeth, where do you attend school? The first two years are actually the easiest. IMO I'm a third year Mechanical engineering major and this year has been somewhat tougher compared to the first two. I had to take all the basics (Cal. based physics, Cal. A B C, DE, Linear, english, etc...)

I think they were lying to you bro. Everyone i know says that the last two years were a lot more difficult than the first two.

Dude you completely read that wrong. After you get through you junior level reqs it is easier. I don't know who you are talking to but the way it is here and from any college graduate I have talked to is your senoir year is your easiest. Now I have no way of knowing what kind of silly scheduling stunts the folks you have been talking to pulled but I know my last year is going to be solid CS classes. While the material may be challenging the semester won't be "hard" and should go by fairly quilckly.

I think the hardest part of my cs program is all the bullshit physics we have to take (40a, 40b, 40c)... I love math, even optimization and ODE/PDE, so all that seems pretty fun. CS classes are definitely challenging, but I had the toughest time with physics (maybe I'm just a dumbass).

I even enjoy the Physics, the hardest classes I take are not hard because of material covered. They are hard because I have a difficult time paying attention/going/caring about Psych, Soc, Econ, Engl, etc. I hate these classes because they don't apply to anything I am doing or want to do. I have no problem with the Math (I even enjoy most of it :) ) Physics follows as it is applied math, and my CS classes are great (except for my Algorithms class).

Back