A question to everybody...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Feb 12 2004, 02:30 PM
you could do what manchester honda does

open up a REAL aftermarket performance shop right there in your dealership
offer REAL performance upgrades from GOOD brands, and offer instalation right there on the spot
for cars under waranty, honor the waranty as long as the parts are put on by your place
(up to a point... i dont blame any shop that doesnt want to waranty a car with a big ass turbo and nitrous setup on it)
but if someone wants suspension work done or all the basic bolt-ons and the work is done by your techs i dont see why the waranty should be void

lots of other car brands do this, or something like it already

subaru - will do just about any STI (the brand not the car model) performance upgrade you can dream of... and they still give you your waranty
toyota - same thing... any TRD mod you want, as long as they put it on... youre covered

E... you hit the nail right on the head. that is what i am going for, but until we can increase our sales of aftermarket parts, nobody here will seriously consider it.

maybe i should have asked that insted...

how could i boost the sales of GOOD aftermarket parts to the public.

our service dept. is already willing to install the stuff. i just need to get people to come in and buy it.

thanks for the reply.

Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Feb 12 2004, 02:31 PM

offer me a pre-swapped civic or pre-boosted civic and ill fly to wherever you are located and purchase the car on the spot. :D

okey, 04 civic si w/greddy turbo kit... $25000.00

Originally posted by JOHNNYLIGHTFOOT@Feb 12 2004, 05:40 PM

maybe i should have asked that insted...

how could i boost the sales of GOOD aftermarket parts to the public.

you shoulda asked that in the first place...i woulda given you a whole different answer.... :D

maybe this is simple and already said in other words, but why not build a few model cars to have in the showroom- take to local shows, autocross events etc- Show everyone that they don't have to go to internet and to speed shops to get their car to look (and perform) like the ones you can modify straight from the dealership- I mean obviously your dealership can't be building and installing custom turbo setups or anything like that- But if you could build one or two nice hondas, regardless of the model and show the local kids that they can perform well on the track and the street, i think there would be quite a few people who would take more interest- I personally wouldn't want anyone else working on, or installing parts on my car- But in my area, there are a ton of kids that take their cars to local shops to get intakes, exhausts and headers put on- i dunno, just my 2 cents

Originally posted by Slammed90Lude@Feb 12 2004, 02:54 PM
maybe this is simple and already said in other words, but why not build a few model cars to have in the showroom- take to local shows, autocross events etc- Show everyone that they don't have to go to internet and to speed shops to get their car to look (and perform) like the ones you can modify straight from the dealership- I mean obviously your dealership can't be building and installing custom turbo setups or anything like that- But if you could build one or two nice hondas, regardless of the model and show the local kids that they can perform well on the track and the street, i think there would be quite a few people who would take more interest- I personally wouldn't want anyone else working on, or installing parts on my car- But in my area, there are a ton of kids that take their cars to local shops to get intakes, exhausts and headers put on- i dunno, just my 2 cents

werd!

thats what im trying to do. but i cant justify it to the managers if it wont yeild "immediate" results. they are way too uptight

i agree.

Sell, and install GOOD aftermarket parts, such as Turbos, N2O, shocks, coilovers, etc.. then cover it under warranty, so long as your dealership installed, and tuned the properly.

Having worked at a couple dealerships (Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagen) I can tell you that there are definitely customers interested in performance aftermarket upgrades. At the VW dealership for example, we used to have customers with fully built turbo jettas come in for service and I would often meet other customers that would ask me if we installed and performed performance upgrades/engine work.

I believe that if your dealership was willing to perform those installations and cover it with some warranty, you'd find many customers willing to shell out the money.

The hardest part is convincing the GM to sell those parts/services, though.

ok heres what you could do

take 2 hondas... year and model isnt really important... but i would try to use the cars that are popular with your target market... they can even be different models

take one and mod it for "go"... not nesissarily drag racing or road course... just all around speed and handling performance

then take the other and mod it for "show"... nothing really wild... nothing tacky.... just a really nice looking car

then hold a carshow
let people show their cars... give out prizes
spotlight the 2 cars that your company has built
keep the aftermarket parts sales counter open durring the show (be sure you are well stocked... people are buying on impulse ... if they have to wait ... many will not buy at all)
hand out flyers with a list of services and products you offer

Here's my take on the deal.

Let's say I'm a new car buyer. I pick out a 2004 Civic SI. I want a badass suspension setup for my new ride. I have one installed by you. I don't get any credit back for all of the "NEW" components you just removed. Sure I can take them with me, but who gives a fuck.

Honda parts are $$$$$$ for anything that matters. Buying a new upgraded car is like pissing away money.

At least on my old piece of shit, the parts already needed replacing. I'm not throwing out a grand worth of parts in each session.

You wanna sell more parts, offer them as part of a trade in deal. Trade new parts + cash for aftermarket goods. Sell, said new items at the parts counter to people that need them at half the cost. A body shop won't care that an A-arm has ten miles on it. The trade in cost will probably be much less than Honda charges you for the same part(before markup).

Honda wanted me to pay $360 for the fabric on the upper half of my driver's seat. That didn't include the core, the foam, the armrest, the butt section, or the headrest.

Conclusion: Make it affordable, and make a buck doing it. Many people want OEM parts more than aftermarket, and vice versa. You could make money on both, and establish a reputation for having a good deal.

Back