A quick question.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MitchG

Hey guys, I currently have a stock 89 Civic Si, and the headgasket it toast. So I'm doing a swap once I find an engine. I've found one, a D16Z6, which appearently has Vtec, and my stock D16A6 doesent. So my question is, do I need a new harness, ecu or anything else? Do I have to hook up the Vtec right away? or can I leave it off until I have more time to look at the wiring?

Thanks

-Mitch

the z6 is an obd1 engine vs. you obd0 setup....I would use the z6 harness, ecu and motor and just get a obd conversion harness to run between the ecu and the chassis. also you can leave the vtec "off" but why?

I know I COULD hook it up, its just that, where I'm getting the swap done is someones house, and I dont want to bother him to make him do it, hes giving me a good price to do the swap for a D16A6, and if I wanted a D16Z6 I dont want him to charge me more.

I know I COULD hook it up, its just that, where I'm getting the swap done is someones house, and I dont want to bother him to make him do it, hes giving me a good price to do the swap for a D16A6, and if I wanted a D16Z6 I dont want him to charge me more.
the problem is the OBD1 Z6 in the OBD0 car - you have to convert one or the other in order for it to run - converting the car to run OBD1 is by far the best way to do it - you could convert the engine to OBD0 by using the OBD0 Si injectors (or by removing the injector resistor box from the system) and using an OBD0 distributor - the Si distributor does not bolt to the Z6 head - some people have used them by cutting the legs off and modifying the distributor (i would never recommend this) - converting to OBD0 would allow you to run your Si ECU, but you would need some way to control the VTEC (RPM switch, etc.) - the Z6 will not run very well without the VTEC - even doing this, you would still need to do some other wiring changes (also needed to run it OBD1) - the Z6 has a MAP sensor on the throttle body where the Si is on the firewall - you will need to lengthen the wires for the MAP connector in order for it to reach the MAP on the Z6 - the Z6 has the cooling fan switch located on the thermostat housing where the Si has it on the back of the block by the oil filter - you will need to lengthen the wires and install a different connector so that it will plug into the sensor - the Z6 has a different engine mount on the driver's side - you will need to remove the one from the Z6 and remove the one from the A6 and install it on the Z6 - the Z6 alternator has a different connector - you will need to swap the connector from the Z6 wiring harness onto the Si wiring harness - the alternative to this is to use the Si alternator, but you will then need to swap the Si crankshaft pulley onto the Z6, as the Si alternator has a pulley for a 3 rib belt where the ZC crank pulley is for a 4 rib belt - no matter how you do it, it is going to be a lot more work to install the Z6 than it would be to install another A6

screw it, i'll just do the A6. Is it possible to do a swap at your own house? (Especially if you're just replacing an old enginge with a newer one?) Like, what sorts of tools am I looking to have to buy for this. Torque wrench...anythign else thats special?

Back