A reminder why i dont let other people work on my cars

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

when you spend as much time in a shop as i have since i started working on cars with my old man when i was like 5
you see a lot of shit

My dad was working on a 98 stratus, doing a brake job. Did the back in about an hour, went to the front, he broke a breaker bar, and a socket to round the lug nut off. Wound up having to cut and drill it out. Took us 3 days to get the tire off, 20 minutes to change the brakes and bleed them. Shits retarded.

Ironically, I've used my 3/8 gun to TAKE OFF a plug that Hercules apparently installed.
Been there. Seems like every time I buy a vehicle, the first oil change, I gotta bust out the breaker bar. Then I check the windshield and see the Jiffy Lube sticker...

I've also made a habit of taking out our vertical drain plugs with my impact/6mm hex. Seems if you atttempt to remove them with a ratchet and bit it just covers your hand and ratchet in blazing hot oil. But if you time it right you can zip the plug out and remove the gun in time to avoid any messiness.

Furthermore, most of the V8's from 97-2004 have large vertical drain plugs (almost 35mm in dia) for the oil that like to fuse themselves to the drain pans.

I've also made a habit of taking out our vertical drain plugs with my impact/6mm hex. Seems if you atttempt to remove them with a ratchet and bit it just covers your hand and ratchet in blazing hot oil. But if you time it right you can zip the plug out and remove the gun in time to avoid any messiness.

Furthermore, most of the V8's from 97-2004 have large vertical drain plugs (almost 35mm in dia) for the oil that like to fuse themselves to the drain pans.

no i always take the plugs out with a ratchet all you have to do is loosen the bolt with the ratchet and then twist it off with your hand but when its about to come out completely just hold it there and then quickly take it off and all youll get is a small amount on your fingers.

Seems if you atttempt to remove them with a ratchet and bit it just covers your hand and ratchet in blazing hot oil.

Ya if you are completely physically inept lol

no i always take the plugs out with a ratchet all you have to do is loosen the bolt with the ratchet and then twist it off with your hand but when its about to come out completely just hold it there and then quickly take it off and all youll get is a small amount on your fingers.

Umm ya. Exactly. Having changed oil professionally in my younger years, you learn to do this pretty fuckin quickly. Otherwise, it's going to be a greasy, miserable 10 hours down in that pit.

i usually just let the drain plug fall into the drain pan because the drum where i dump the oil has a little screen on it that will catch the plug. wipe it off with a shop rag and voila!

vertical drain plugs are no issue unless they are attached to the bottom of a diesel.

i could never get the plug out of a diesel without getting oil all over me.
then had to deal with that gigantic fucking filter.

god, i hated being down in that pit.

I loved bathing in oil whenever I changed mine. Especially when it's warm. Luckily though I can reach my filter from the top to loosen it and let it drain some first.

Diesel oil is by far the worst. Not only is it darker and blacker than normal oil - it stains EVERYTHING and smells of diesel.

Indeed. Where I worked only had diesel oil in gallons, not the gun, so it took forever to fill the fuckin' thing too.

Back