A trip to the Aquarium

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Celerity

I can't believe how fuckin stupid people are. It's astonishing.

I visited the Maritime Aquarium in Norwalk Saturday. And since then, I've been thinking. There are billions of people out there too stupid to know the difference between a shark and a dolphin.

I am fucking serious here. I hung out at the Shark tank for a while and chilled out with the big glass tank, and listened to some of the parents coming in and"teaching" their children a little something about marine life.

Wrong things.

"Oh, look at the Dolphins!"
"Those fish in there with the sharks are for the sharks to eat"
"Manta rays have no brains, they only scavenge the bottom like starfish"
"Sharks don't have bones, and if they lose a fin, they grow a new one back"

These are from ADULTS.

Then, move on to the Octopuss:

"That's a big crab!"
"Octopusses wrap themselves around prey and slowly eat it"
"No, kids that's a squid"
"Last time we were here, the octopuss was black, now it's red!" "That was a different octopuss"

Again, Adults.

Then, the fuckin Otter tank. I love Otters. Why not? They are cute and fun to look at. Plus, you can go to the habitat without people commented on how they taste. This is my favorite:

We're at an AQUARIUM
"LOOK LOOK LOOK ! That's a monkey!"

At least that was a kid.

How many adults look at a Lobster and say "What's that!?" ---- ALL OF THEM.

Sea turtles don't pull their legs and head in like many think they do. But this is a question directed toward a professional: "If they don't pull their legs in, why have a shell?" "Um.. his shell is there to hold him together.. He has an exoskeleton"

Then the Seals. Many, many people called them dophins as well.

They also had the albino Alligator in town for a bit. That's why I went. These people look at you like you have 2 heads when you explain albinoism. The curator just gave up.

Then it was all about the stupidity of Jellyfish, the endless Flounder questions. (One adult: "Look at that, his eyes are on both sides today") and the ray petting tank (Won't they bite?(Yeah, they're gonna put viscous animals on display for your kids to reach in and touch))

I can't believe it. AndI don't imagine these kids will end up smarter than their parents... But god willing, they better.

-> Steve

Originally posted by Citizen_Insane@Jul 25 2005, 03:01 PM
:repost: People have always been idiots. :p
[post=530817]Quoted post[/post]​

LoL :lmao:

i tried to get a job there once. but they never called back so fuck them. honestly, i think we all could have told you people are stupid. but anyways, was the alligator worth the trip? is it cool?

The alligator is nice - But something to remember about Aligators:

They can go for 8 days without blinking. You can't.

It was like looking at a plaster-of-paris model of an aligator.

The other stuff at the aquarium is far better. I love that place. I hate it's visitors. The employees are a hoot too. They do anything they can to get intelligent interfaces. The zoologists are that way too.. They are so sick of idiots.

-> Steve

It's amazing now a days that parents don't even take the time to teach their children valuable things because they are too busy at their shit jobs to think twice about little James and Sarah. Then they think they are doing them a service by teaching them things that they themselves know nothing about. I am a lifeguard, and teach swimming lessons. I was a state swimmer, so I know what the fuck I'm talking about. I see parents that come to the pool that "teach" their kids to swim, when they can't even stay afloat for two seconds.

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Jul 25 2005, 11:06 AM
The world is overpopulated and we have people claiming that seals are dolphins?

Skippy, git mah gun.
[post=530727]Quoted post[/post]​

that is apparently

Mass genocide. But instead of racial extermination, we can carry out a campaign against morons.

I was watching "Growing up Gotti" tonight and I would HATE to be a lifeguard. Those people would get a 2x4 upside the brain bucket.

-> Steve

The kids were at the local public pool (They refuse to clean their pool) and were tormenting and ignoring the lifeguards.. So they got thrown out)

Another one that scares the shit out of me... How many can't list all of the planets in our star system ?

-

Originally posted by Celerity@Jul 25 2005, 09:13 PM
So what's the cure ?

-> Steve
[post=531051]Quoted post[/post]​

Have your kids take the class I'll be teaching in a few years ;)

I work produce at a local Shaw's. I know how stupid the general public is. Believe me.

Though it would be considered "cute", even though the kid should be old enough to know - the other day I saw a 7 year old 'quacking' at the lobster tank. I just had to laugh. :lol:

Back