A very important lesson from the hill...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Tonight I decided to take a run up the hill and enjoy the night. On my way down the backside, foot to the floor in 4th, approaching 95 MPH, about 150' from the braking zone, I hear a pop and feel a drop in power. I immediately let up and hit the brakes.

Nothing.

Well, there was something. The pedal felt like a rock.

Oh shit.

Both feet on the brake, one on top of the other, arms pulling back on the wheel, ass off the seat, shoulders about to push through the back rest, I *BARELY* get it down to 40 in time to understeer through the turn into the other lane, across the outside white line, into the dirt and grass, and *almost* not make it.

Turns out, my brake booster hose got blown off the manifold from the boost. Yes, there was a spring clamp on it. Goddamn, that was close. I have *NEVER* come closer to wrecking on a public road than that.

Tomorrow morning every hose on that engine is getting high pressure hose clamps installed. Screw these OEM spring clamps.

Lesson learned: Things can get ugly in a hurry, and you need to be prepaired to react without thought, and until it's happened, you don't really know just how quickly and how bad it can get. This has lead me to decide to run a tech inspection on all the cars going up Rt. 17 in two weeks. If you're boosted, I want to see hose clamps on EVERY rubber hose attached to the manifold, among other things. If there's something I don't like, I'm not going to let you drive your car up the hill. No exceptions. You have two weeks to get ready. If you think it won't pass, fix it.

I'm lucky. Luck eventually runs out.

oMG I WOULD TOTALLY LIKE DIE IF YOU DID OH NOES.... s(fever talking)

thank god ur aiight dude looks like it wasnt ur turn to go.

Safety is no accident.

Damn, I would say you have a horseshoe up your ass from the way it sounds.

More like a blowjob from Lady Luck... Either way, it goes to show that even if you only drive hard on the street, there's no reason not to maintain your car as if it were a race car...

The cops were on my ass and I was trying to finish my beer, so when I threw the bottle out, I wouldn't get any beer on the side of my car.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to keep the fire going in the bong, keep the 40 from tipping over, and run from the cops? That's crazy doreefto skeeurlzuh, neeegah!

Originally posted by tab@May 14 2004, 11:26 PM
:driver: :hmm: :eek3:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

:werd:

Glad everything turned out ok and you didn't run down some old lady in a wheel chair and a few elementary school kids.

Been there, done that... The 4500 rpm idle clued me int hat there was a problem... THEN I felt the rock hard brakes as I quickly approached the business end of a cement truck at 90 MPH.

OH NOEEES!!!!

Civic went offroading that day, I tell yah! ;)

Damn Ji, you're so lucky... glad that you and your car are intact. Wowzer. :blink:

heh... that almost sucks ji...

reasons why i replaced the shitty spring hoses with screw clamps. aesthetically pleasing AND effective. good thing ive got my oil leaks fixed, too.

good thing you arent hurt, cars can be replaced. well, im not driving my car on it. (reasons posted in NE forum) edit: btw, anyone got two free seats open :(

Im glad youre alright too... what is Rt. 17 and how do you have the authority to not allow someone to go "down the hill"?

Originally posted by SpodaB1@May 16 2004, 06:34 PM
Im glad youre alright too... what is Rt. 17 and how do you have the authority to not allow someone to go "down the hill"?

if Ji told me i couldnt take my car down that road at excessive speeds, i wouldnt, but i would sure like to follow and/or take pictures :)

why? because hes the expert on that road. its really twisty. :ph34r:

Originally posted by SpodaB1@May 16 2004, 06:34 PM

there was a thread somewhere about it that had a map. and i have a feeling that i would want a helmet, and we have some really twisty roads here.

and Ji is the authority because he has driven that road more than anyone here.

just like if you came over to Spokane WA, to do the Waikiki run then i would tell you if you can/ cant make a run, cause i drive it every i work

I hope no one took offense to what I posted. I was simply asking a question. Thank you for answering it.

Back