A20a-can it be done?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

87Accord

"Große Kugeln"
I am getting an '87 accord with an a20 and an auto-trans. later this month and I am trying to find out all my options for re-building this car. I would like to turbo it, but I'm not sure if I can do that with an a20. If I have to swap for a b18 or b20, that's fine.

What I would like to have an engine capable of building properly for boost. So can a turbo get put on an a20?
If so, what size turbo would I need (I have done some research and I think a GT28 would work so far, if it doesn't hence my question....)? Also, it is carb'd, so does someone make a carb hat for the a20?I Intake/Exhaust headers?

What would I need otherwise like pistons, cams, valves, etc.....

Or would it just be wise to do an engine and/or tranny swap (I want a standard trans.) first off?

BTW, I did do a search on 'a20', little to nothing came back. I also looked through the "swap" sections and could not find a proper place to put this, so please move if needed. Thanks!

It's possible, but not sure how difficult it would be or how high you can go with it.

I've never seen any aftermarket parts for the A20s. Swapping to at least a B18A would open up your options immensely.

Yeah, there's just not much going on for those motors. I think that Weber used to make carbs for them, but I'm not sure if those are still around or not. Swapping to something newer like a B-series will give you a lot more options, but that will present new challanges as well because I don't think anyone makes after-market mounts for it and there's the question of wiring it up as well...

look around for an accord lx-i for a parts doner. they had a fuel injected a20 in them. other wise you can try to swap a b series. either way the wiring and fuel system change over is going to be a pain.

Well, pain it may be, but I am prepared for it. I am trying not to buy another car, as I do not have room for one more. I might have to pay more for the b18 than I will the accord. My mom's co-worker is moving and was going to scrap it, but my mom told him she will pay him whatever the junk yard is will to pay. So I get a car for $150. Its a drivable rolling chassis pretty much. So I can already feel the pain about the car in general. This build will take months probably a year or two.

Okay, after closer review, the b18b is a bare block. Nothing with it. I think this would be great for a build from the inside out. Yes? That way I know what is inside and that it will perform up to spec.

More questions, pending I do get this block...what brands should I look for in pistons, valves, springs, etc.
Oh and besides Garrett turbos, what is a good brand for a turbo. What size turbo will I need if I get the b18??

Thanks again

Bare as in no crankshaft? I'd avoid it. Sometimes sourcing used parts is pretty difficult.

Honda Acura Parts

He only wants 30 bucks for it, so I'm assuming there is not a crankshaft. There are plenty of junk yards in NoVA, but you are certainly right about used parts. They are extremely hard to come by, even a Chevy 350SB out of a old Suburban costs about 1k...... :/

Looks like he left that block out in the rain? No idea how thick the rust is. Anyways, some things to question on "bare blocks" is why it was disassembled to begin with, prior issues, etc. If you can, at least look for a shortblock, that way you know you have any small parts and major components you need. A good place to look for cheap parts is in Honda specific local forums. I had a "client"(really a friend of a friend) who was able to get a complete swap for about $400; and anything that wasn't compatible with his car(mainly his transmission, which was cable and he needed a hydraulic one), he was able to trade/sell/buy.

OKay, so after looking at the junkyards websites around here, there are plenty of 'b' series motors. Then, my dad and I were talking and he asked me what I wanted to do with the car. I told him I want to make it into a 1/4 mile racer. So after some more talking, we came across an idea for a mid-engine V8 race car. I know someone has tried to put a ford V8 in another honda, but he used the engine bay for his, which meant a lot of ripping and shifting metal around. Hopefully this would be gutting the interior, motor mounts, axels, etc. etc.... I am anticipating flaming and shit, so keep it to the minimum please? I feel like there are more options for a V8 on the market I'm in then an I-4. This is still just an idea and a thought so nothing is finalized.

Plenty of people have done mid-engine RWD with the Honda engines(IIRC, we have two street legal ones here in NC, an Integra and a Del Sol). I know one of them consisted of simply welding in the "engine bay" of the donor car in the rear; which solved the issues of axles, mounts, etc.

okay, cool. I've figured a CSB 350 will do. I went to one yard today and they had one out of a '77 suburban. Only 1 transmission to match the engine. I am still looking. I'm not looking for it to be "street legal" as it will most likely be towed to the strip. I am wondering if I should look for a transaxle or just bolt the trans to the engine, then run a driveshaft to the axle. Any ideas? I am looking to supercharge this beast. I found a blower (supercharger) about 20 mins up I-95 from me.

Any clue on how to make this "street legal"? I don't care, but if it could be I would like to know.

If you're doing mid-engine(transaxle), probably a Porsche or VW transmission is your best option(this is actually pretty common and you may be able to find adapter bell housings available; the Ultima GTRs use Chevy engines with Porsche transmission kits). Otherwise, any compatible transmission, custom driveshaft, and a solid rear fabbed in there should work.

Do you have anymore info on where to find a conversion kit? At RenegadeHybrids, all I found was putting a SBC INTO a porsche....Or should I keep my eyes out for a Porsche 914 transaxle?

I can't really tell you off hand, if anything whatever you search will be the same thing I'll find. You can check out Ultima/Noble forums though. Maybe even Rennlist.

Back