A20A3 tranny compatability

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

birddog1148

I have a 86 prelude with a 89 A20A3 motor and I need a new trany cause it lost 2nd. What trannys and what cars can I get them from? The car races a FWD 4cyl class at a local dirt track. Need to know about manual trans, NOT automatics

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Originally posted by reikoshea@May 10 2005, 01:17 PM
88 and 89 accords have that engine...so id start there.
[post=497459]Quoted post[/post]​

What about older Civics? I think a freind has one with a roached motor i can get cheap

anything is possible, but that prelude is HEAVY, and you wont get the same performance if you go with a 1.6L over a 2.0L. Id try to stick with a 2.0L. Plus if you go with anything but that A20 i think you are going to have to make yourself some mounting brackets for that engine. Not too many people have complete swaps out there for 3rd gen preludes.

Okay well, after a little bit of research i found out that the second gen lude that you have (i said 3rd before) came stock with a 1.8L 100HP engine, so i guess a B16 would be alright, but youll still have to make new mounts.

Originally posted by reikoshea@May 10 2005, 01:30 PM
anything is possible, but that prelude is HEAVY, and you wont get the same performance if you go with a 1.6L over a 2.0L. Id try to stick with a 2.0L. Plus if you go with anything but that A20 i think you are going to have to make yourself some mounting brackets for that engine. Not too many people have complete swaps out there for 3rd gen preludes.

Okay well, after a little bit of research i found out that the second gen lude that you have (i said 3rd before) came stock with a 1.8L 100HP engine, so i guess a B16 would be alright, but youll still have to make new mounts.
[post=497467]Quoted post[/post]​

Ok, I the car I can get a tranny from is a '87 civic w/1500 pgm-fi and I want to know if that trany will bolt to the A20a3 motor and up to the car, I van make mounting brackets. The A20a3 engine is supposed to have a decked head, ported and polished witha bigger cam, and The Prelude left my Toyota camery in the dust last yr so Its faster than what I racing now. Thanks for the help.
Birddog

Back