about wiring from a d16y8 to a d16z6

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

uasfineasme

i am going to pull my blown up d16y8 and put in a d16z6. what kind of problems am i going to run in to and what would be the best way to fix them.. this car is just to drive daily no upgrades at all.. thanks

you'll have to re-wire the distributor, injectors, and alternator plugs if you use the y8 harness and ecu on the z6.

simply cut/paste (solder) the z6 plug onto the y8 harness for those 3 things, and it will plug right in.

do i need to use the z6 ecu with the z6 motor or can u use the y8 ecu i have already seen a difference in the wiring. im just lost..the y8 block and the z6 block have a couple different plugs im lost

nope- just use the y8 ecu. no need to re-wire for a pretty much identical computer.

what plugs aren't plugging in?

you can use the Y8 distributor too, and save yourself a lot of headache.
The Y8 and Z6 dizzies are electrically compatible, although they don't quite bolt up right.

The Y8 might have the crank fluctuation sensor if it is a new enough car. The Y8 also probably has some thermoswich related stuff in different places than the Z6. It's been a while since I've swapped a Y8 but I do remember scratching my head a couple times.

allright guys i so apprciate your impute .. what i have noticed so far is a crank senser on the y8 about a mm away from the old crank what do i do with that?,on the z6 block the pulleys are different so i put the y8 crank pulley on the z6 block the motor mount on the right driver side was diff. so i swaped. the intake manifold was difff so im using the y8 intake. also the y8 had two plug senser on the back of the block one right where the head and block meet in the back and another one a little lower down. one i know will plug in. what about the other one wont it throw a code. along with the crank senser . wow it magnetic. and almost forgot the distribotor only 2 out of the 3 bolts line up is that ok.. thanksguys.. chris
Its a 1996 d16y8 honda civic ex obd2 to a 94 d16z6 civic ex obd1... i know its a stupid move but it my work car..

me n my homie Jim ghettofabbed something a while back to get this H23 to run in a 96 'lude that one of his cronies brought him to work on.

I remember that we were able to retrofit the older engine with the crank fluctuation sensor, but I think we had to drill + tap some holes in the block. Definately had to take the crank pulley off. It worked in the end, and didn't throw any codes. Good luck?

im just wonding is there any way to re wire or buy a kit for those to extra senser. and what about the distribitor is it ok bolted down in two spots out of the three.

I need to make this swap legit

I just want to make sure if I'm getting this right. If I wanted to put an obd1 d16z6 into an obd2a d16y8 chassis and use the d16y8 engine wiring harness, distributor, oil pump, and alternator.??

OR

Use all the z6 parts but cut the plugs and solder on the y8 plugs. Is it just wire for wire?

I really want to make this swap work while passing emissions.

Back