ABS question.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jamesA

Thank you for your business.
VIP
Ok so I know USDM Si's didn't even get ABS as an option, but I just learned that Canadian SiRs had ABS standard. How hard would it be to wire in and install ABS on my car and what all would I need to do it?

and yes, I can think of at least 3 situations last year where I could have used ABS.

Originally posted by revolution8k@Dec 14 2004, 11:54 PM
Ok so I know USDM Si's didn't even get ABS as an option
[post=432337]Quoted post[/post]​

Some of the USDM '94 Si's had ABS from the factory (as mine does :p ). And everyone says that it's a bitch to install ABS into a non-ABS car. Too many lines to run.

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal+Dec 15 2004, 12:09 AM-->
revolution8k
@Dec 14 2004, 11:54 PM
Ok so I know USDM Si's didn't even get ABS as an option
[post=432337]Quoted post[/post]​

Some of the USDM Si's had ABS from the factory (and mine does :p ). And everyone says that it's a bitch to install ABS into a non-ABS car. Too many lines to run.
[post=432348]Quoted post[/post]​

Sorry, yours does but I meant 99-00 Si's. Shoulda made that clear. :)

and I don't care. the end result will be my brakes not locking up, I'll do what it takes.

I didn't realize that '99-'00 USDM Si's didn't have ABS. How very odd. Even various EG EX coupes and sedans had ABS. Sorry you guys got gypped.

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal@Dec 15 2004, 12:21 AM
What about getting a '99 or '00 EX coupe and swapping in an Si engine? That could be easier.
[post=432362]Quoted post[/post]​

I can't afford another car, especially an overpriced honda. Everything should be completely compatible among the Si and SiR.

gotta figure out what all is involved and how to do it first. :p

but i will do.

How about learning threshold braking? It is alot cheaper and easier than installing ABS and it means you do not have to rely on some computer or technology to modulate your braking. It is a good skill to have that could someday save your life.

well you need a crap load of parts new brakes front and rear, control mod,and a heap of other costly parts.

imo its not worth it to even try to equip an si with that to much work- i have an ex and the ex's abs straight sucks - so im guessing it wont be much better for a si if you were to swap over an ex's or another si's - though i could swear that the 99-00 usdm si's did have abs - have driven a few in the winter and swore i heard that awful sound honda abs systems make - if i was going to change over to abs on an si i think i would pull the whole system from an integra -

ABS is for people who don't know how to drive and simply use both feet and press the brake as hard as they can.

i had abs in an old car of mine, and i fucking hated it. i hated not having control over wtf it was doing.

but if you want a computer to drive, and not you, by all means try it.

but you're talking a lot of freakin work, and probably $4000 in parts.
new abs master, lines, abs computer, axels with the abs sensors, all the wiring, all the hydroloic fluid lines, the abs mechanic unit...

and thats just the basics

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 15 2004, 11:49 AM
ABS is for people who don't know how to drive and simply use both feet and press the brake as hard as they can.

i had abs in an old car of mine, and i fucking hated it. i hated not having control over wtf it was doing.

but if you want a computer to drive, and not you, by all means try it.

but you're talking a lot of freakin work, and probably $4000 in parts.
new abs master, lines, abs computer, axels with the abs sensors, all the wiring, all the hydroloic fluid lines, the abs mechanic unit...

and thats just the basics
[post=432517]Quoted post[/post]​

i will sgree in saying abs sucks tho my car is equipt with it -i like my other cars breaking better than my civic 00 -i hate the feel to abs - and the sound - didnt help me last winter when my car kept going on snow for 60 feet at all- ( but it didnt lock up my wheels or breaks) big whoop my h

Good braking skills>>>> ABS, but it's still good to have. I can think of a few times that it's been a benefit to a situation. It's not very often though and it always has to do with wet pavement. Otherwise in those World Challenge races, the Turner Motorsports team had to remove the ABS systems from their BMW's because the racing committee felt that their ABS gave them an unfair advantage over the other teams. There is some merit to having ABS in a car, but it's not a deal breaker if a car doesn't have it. And not important enough to take the trouble to put it in.

Originally posted by b204dr@Dec 15 2004, 08:45 AM
though i could swear that the 99-00 usdm si's did have abs - have driven a few in the winter and swore i heard that awful sound honda abs systems make -
[post=432455]Quoted post[/post]​

Well the easy way to tell if there is ABS in the car (without lifting the hood)... is if there is an ABS check light on the gauge cluster, then it's present. No ABS check light, no ABS in the car (from the factory).

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal+Dec 15 2004, 01:22 PM-->
@Dec 15 2004, 08:45 AM
though i could swear that the 99-00 usdm si's did have abs - have driven a few in the winter and swore i heard that awful sound honda abs systems make -
[post=432455]Quoted post[/post]​

Well the easy way to tell if there is ABS in the car (without lifting the hood)... is if there is an ABS check light on the gauge cluster, then it's present. No ABS check light, no ABS in the car (from the factory).
[post=432555]Quoted post[/post]​

its just some thing you dont commonly care to look for heh - i just drove the damn thing lol ;)

it might be a problem that 96-00 EX's with ABS have drums in the back.

i hve ABS on my 98 Civic and I hate it. it works like crap. the ABS on my Mustang was much better.

Originally posted by nfn15037@Dec 15 2004, 01:16 AM
How about learning threshold braking? It is alot cheaper and easier than installing ABS and it means you do not have to rely on some computer or technology to modulate your braking. It is a good skill to have that could someday save your life.
[post=432392]Quoted post[/post]​

It's just not that simple IMO, a light turns yellow, i tap the brakes and they lock, i even got off and still had no control. I just don't want them to lock at all, I don't care about this "the computer is driving for you" blah blah crap. I don't autocross, this is my daily driver. I can't afford to not have a car for a week because I slid into somebody trying to modulate my own brakes.

But thanks for all your responses guys, I'm going to look into this deeper. I'm sure there's someone in Canada willing to make a few bucks to pull all the parts off a wrecked SiR.

Originally posted by revolution8k+Dec 15 2004, 09:31 PM-->
@Dec 15 2004, 01:16 AM
[post=432392]Quoted post[/post]​

It's just not that simple IMO, a light turns yellow, i tap the brakes and they lock, i even got off and still had no control. I just don't want them to lock at all, I don't care about this "the computer is driving for you" blah blah crap. I don't autocross, this is my daily driver. I can't afford to not have a car for a week because I slid into somebody trying to modulate my own brakes.

But thanks for all your responses guys, I'm going to look into this deeper. I'm sure there's someone in Canada willing to make a few bucks to pull all the parts off a wrecked SiR.
[post=432879]Quoted post[/post]​

Well you obvously do not want to learn then. Stopping distances with threshold braking are shorter than with ABS, so it is advantageous to learn and good not to rely on a computer. What if the ABS fails and you don't know what to do then, you still lside into something with no control since the wheels are locked up. People got along fine with no ABS for 75 years, learn how to brake properly and this is not a problem. Also, what kind of tires are you on? That makes a big difference in braking. FWIW, ABS will not give you traction when there is none. If you have problems sliding in slippery conditions, maybe you should slow down? There is only a finite amout of grip in a given situation, and you as a human can brake harder in a low grip situation by braking on the verge of lockup rather than having the ABS cycling the brakes on and off. I am not trying to start shit, I am just making suggestions, valid suggestions that you seem to be unreceptive to.

I'm not going to argue with you about this, ABS helps and I want it. I drive the speed limit, modulating my brakes and learning how to brake won't help anymore than ABS would on ice either.

I'm unreceptive because you're straying from the topic and not answering anything I've asked. If you're not going to give the help I asked for don't bother rambling on about learning how to brake "just in case the ABS would fail"

Back