AC condenser fan/fuse question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Periculum

A mechanic friend of mine managed to get my old dried out ac working again last night, filled it up, and it ran well for a while, then blew the condenser fan fuse, stopping the AC. after running through some tests of his, he decided that the fan itself was bad and told me that while I look for a new fan, I could unplug it and run the AC anyway. Well I tried that, and it blew the fuse again. Then i tried jumping the connector that would be connected to the fan normally and that combination blew the fuse as soon as I turned on the AC. I tried it again with the fan connected again and it blew the fuse as soon as I turned on the AC. Yep, I changed the fuses every time, went through almost a whole pack.

ideas?

thanks

Quoted post[/post]]
A mechanic friend of mine managed to get my old dried out ac working again last night, filled it up, and it ran well for a while, then blew the condenser fan fuse, stopping the AC. after running through some tests of his, he decided that the fan itself was bad and told me that while I look for a new fan, I could unplug it and run the AC anyway. Well I tried that, and it blew the fuse again. Then i tried jumping the connector that would be connected to the fan normally and that combination blew the fuse as soon as I turned on the AC. I tried it again with the fan connected again and it blew the fuse as soon as I turned on the AC. Yep, I changed the fuses every time, went through almost a whole pack.

ideas?

thanks
MY condensor fan fuse blew when my compressor was bad...
:confused:

was the compressor clutch still working? mine was engaging just fine when he was working on it. dunno if the clutch is what makes a compressor bad.

The compressor clutch and the condensor fan are tied into the SAME fuse for the 88-91 Civics. You could have a short in the clutch that's causing the fuse to blow. Katie's 88 LX sedan had this same problem, and I chased wires for months before finally tearing apart the front end and finding out that the clutch coil wires were frayed and shorting against each other.

Check that area out- it's very easily overlooked, especially since you can't really see the wires with everything assembled.

cool, thats the area i was going to check out, i managed to pull out the wires in that area yesterday. where are the clutch coil wires? im assuming the one that runs from the AC relay over to the top of the compressor, but thats just a guess.

nm, I found the problem. the wires on the way to the fan melted together, probably from age or overloading when the fan started dying. thx for the suggestions

Back