Acceleration Issue

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sounds like my car did before I tuned it. I'll bet the torque doesn't peak until somewhere around 4 grand or so.

:confused:There are not very many hills in my town but i got a chance to encounter a few and every time i enter a incline it loses hp until around 4000 and even so it bucks just a little bit until i crest the hill, this is now making me think not a timing problem but maybe a fuel pump and fuel filter change, what do you think?, also the middle resenator pipe after the cat and before the muffler rattles i got under the car and shook this renenator pipe and the internal tube i think is completely seperated, could this cause a restriction before 4000 due to a lower exhaust pressure or a combination of both fuel restriction and a blown resinator?????

Last edited:
the rattling sound is more then likely coming from the heat shield on the cat, there is an upper and a lower heat shield and you can remove both very easily. if you think there is a hole in the piping it will have a flutter sound to it and it will cause you to loose some back-pressure, resulting in lower performance and a decreased fuel economy

I understand what your saying and i know what to expect as far as performance engine, but There is def. a problem with fuel/spark/whatev. Something is not right mechanicaly, even brand new or used it should not buck the way it is, its not bucking violently but in a way that is not normal for a car. I'm not a car expert but I do know only cuz Im the only one who can give you an idea of how it drives that its more than just being a D15B7. But once again all input is greatly appreciated, I love this Forum and It has so much useful info, Best one Ive been a part of yet, Great Job Guys......

Last edited:
yes, i've heard many times now how consistantly awesome this forum is :)

if you could possibly make a video of the issue, that could help. if you do, try and keep the camera mainly on the guages, so we can see what your tach is doing when it happens.

to me sounds like timing could be off. i skimmed, but couldnt tell; have you got around to checking that yet?

Its not the heat shield on the cat, I checked that first, the rattle was coming from the inner tube inside the resonator pipe, it must have seperated..

Last edited:
Not yet i hope this weekend the weather clears up so i can check.... no garage:(

And yes i can make a short video with my dvd cam I'll load it to my comp and get it to you somehow, I'll work on it tomorrow if i get out of work on time..

Last edited:
what? seriously? ...
vtec_sign.gif

vtec and clutch fluid have nothing to do in comon. unless your not closing the lid on your clutch fluid resiviour. wowwwww you've got to be kidding me.

that was the same thing i was thinking

Not yet i hope this weekend the weather clears up so i can check.... no garage:(

And yes i can make a short video with my dvd cam I'll load it to my comp and get it to you somehow, I'll work on it tomorrow if i get out of work on time.

alrighty. if you cant figure the video out, computers are my thing... lmk

i wanna see this. i've always thought about what your describing. like the pressure in the cylinder isnt enough to over come gravity. but i always thought as long as the engine is moving, it must not stall. so ya, i'm curious!

sorry i didnt get the video to you yet, last two days ive been in pain, i need two root canals and i havnt moved the pain killers they gave me arent even helping me.. but i didnt forget so i'll hope get it to you by monday, sorry...

Last edited:
hey not a problem for me. i'll be lurkin...

whenever. i'm sure u want ur car fixed! ;)

well since it does it only some of the time, it might be electrical. do you have a multimeter? you should check the voltage on the throttle position sensor (tps) to make sure it climbs smoothly. does it do it at full throttle? sounded like u were flooring it. maybe it will do it more often at part throttle? or, try starting in second gear (or short shift first gear), and accelerate hard in high gear, starting low in the rpm band. if you see what i'm saying. it will put more 'stress' on the motor, for say. see if it does it then.

my cars seemed like they had "vtec" to the problem was piston ring failure. When enough oil got into the cylinder it would kick like vtec at around 4-4.5K

Back