Accord engine swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

97 Aclude

Hello, I am new to the site and have a few questions. I own a 1997 Honda Accord LX with a standard F22B (non vtec) engine and 4 speed auto. trans. It has 75,600 original miles. I recently noticed the check engine light was on and i have a glitch in my rpms, once and a while it will rev about 2-4 times from 1 1/2 to 2 rpms while giving it no gas when driving. A tech told me my car is running in limp home mode but I see no hesitation, I can rev up to about 6800 or 7000 rpms before it limits. I normally dont do this because I want my current engine to last. My question is about a engine swap will a H22A engine from a 2001 Prelude work in place of my F22B engine? Will it connect to my current F22B Transmission and mount up on the same motor mounts? If I make the swap will I need a new ECU for the VTEC to work?
I read somewhere my F22B engine only puts out around 130hp while the H22A engine puts out around 200hp?

Yes.
Yes.
Yes(use the ECU that came with the motor; an automatic version if you can)

Yes, the 97-01 Ludes were rated either 195-200hp.

*Just for kicks: Bisi's F22A puts out over 400whp All-Motor ;)

Yes.
Yes.
Yes(use the ECU that came with the motor; an automatic version if you can)

Yes, the 97-01 Ludes were rated either 195-200hp.

*Just for kicks: Bisi's F22A puts out over 400whp All-Motor ;)
Thank you
What would cause it to rev up and down 2-4 times from 1 1/2 to 2 rpms while giving it no gas when driving?

Thank you
What would cause it to rev up and down 2-4 times from 1 1/2 to 2 rpms while giving it no gas when driving?

When driving, or at idle? Usually a vacuum leak will cause a surge with those symptons. If its happening when "driving", than you have an electrical issue.

When driving, or at idle? Usually a vacuum leak will cause a surge with those symptons. If its happening when "driving", than you have an electrical issue.
Hi, Yes sorry for the delay. It only revs when driving down the road and giving it no gas (coasting). If I switch the gears like a manual shift and drop it into D3 from D4 it will shift and stop reving. I also noticed it only does this when it shifts from gear to gear (usually 3rd to 4th).

except the only problem with that auction is they're selling an h22 with an AT trans but in the notes section it reads:

"The harness, ecu, axle, header, fuel pump, and air box are included as shown in the pictures. The new clutch disc is included because the clutch was slipping before the engine was overhauled."

The H22A swap and the F20B swap are the same thing...i know you didnt mention the F20B but thats another motor that will swap in.....you can use the stock mounts, axles, and everything...just the wiring is the problem...send it in to RYWIRE.COM they are cheap and good...for a OBD1 to OBD1 harness swap its 250$ plus shipping the harness.... If you read that you dont have to modify the harness and it will clip right in and work fine with no wiring...thats not true....i have tried it, it can run but not as well as it should if you use the stock ECU.......also it is most likely the Vacuum leak so check that also

except the only problem with that auction is they're selling an h22 with an AT trans but in the notes section it reads:

"The harness, ecu, axle, header, fuel pump, and air box are included as shown in the pictures. The new clutch disc is included because the clutch was slipping before the engine was overhauled."

and this i understand i was just giving a reference, they have about 10 h22a's at the warehouse in denton and numerous more in augusta, i just wanted to show him the site and the ebay store for them...

One Other Question..

My 97 Accord LX has a automatic transmission and the problem i am running into is when i make the H22A swap will i have to swap out my current F22B transmission? It doesnt have any problems shifting or it doesnt slip in any gears.
I had a few people to tell me my current trans will bolt up to the H22A engine and some to tell me i will have to buy a new transmission for my Accord? Aww yea and by the way my ECU is OBD2 (The 2 four wire O2 Sensors).

Some H22s with automatics have separate control units outside of the ECU for the transmission. You need to make sure you get an ECU that's got the transmission programming self-contained, and then you should be ok to use the Accord's original slushbox.

Something to think about though...the F22 tranny has longer gears than the H22's gearbox. You won't be quite as quick with the original transmission as you would be if you do a complete swap...

Hi, allright I am ready for the swap but i have no idea what i am doing? i will need someone to either walk me through this or send me a link that will help me swap. I have the H22A motor (USDM), H22 ECU, H22 Wire Harness, H22 Auto. Trans, H22 stock headers w/ downpipe, air box, radiator, etc, etc....pretty much the whole DAMN CAR (lol). I want to be able to keep my A/C and Power Steering (I heard that some people had trouble with putting that stuff back)

Last edited:
Back